Quilter Tone Block 200

stm113

Power User
Got one of these a few weeks ago, here's my thoughts so far...

Since April 12 I've powered my AF2 bua the fx return of my 5150, i have tried a few other power choices a Mesa Boogie 50/50, the power section of a L6 Vetta, a QSC and an ISP Stealth. I was worried about the headroom and holding up volume wise on the stage of a LOUD band. The closer closet thing to the Tone Block that ive I've used is the Stealth by ISP, I liked the sound until i got up to stage volume then the Stealth started to saturate (in a musical way but not what I wanted). What i have found is the Tone Block works well with my AF2, its punchy and seems to have plenty of headroom, cuts through on stage with the gain around 10 and the volume slightly above the 10 watt setting, thats pushing a 16ohm 4x12 cab. I run it 4 hours a night and its only slightly hot. The only criticism at this point is compared to my 5150, (and the L6 & the QSC ) as power, the Tone Block seems to have more roll off in the lower lows and highs that you don't necessarily need in a mix but I enjoy hearing and feeling on stage. I have messed with the contour knob a little but not quite yielding the results. At this point he sound is definitely good enough to work with especially when i factor in the reduced wear and tear on Tubes, my 5150 in general and quite frankly me.

Any one else have any experience with this well designed little box?

I have both the older Tone Block 200 (which has been discontinued and replaced by the Tone Block 201) and the newest Quilter the Pro Block 200. I've stopped using my Axe Fx Ultra and gone back to a simple amp/cab setup so the PB 200 I use as a stand alone amp with a Wampler Pinnacle for dirt, and when I use the TB 200 I use an Ethos Overdrive pre-amp in front of the TB 200. When it comes to efx lately I'm becoming more of a minimalist and found myself spending to much time tweaking the Ultra. I now find myself playing/practicing more and tweaking less which is exactly the way I like it. I just don't need all those amp models. If I do come back to Fractal anytime soon it will probably be for an FX-8.

Keep it out of the sun. Last summer at a day gig that was about 100* my Quilter powered down in the middle of a song. at the time I was using it to power a slaved real amp rig.

Back
Top Bottom