Quiet fan in my II!

Creo que debéis tener paciencia, yo estuve esperando cerca de un año, porque pedí un ULTRA, y me pasaron al FXII, y estoy agradecido, porque aunque tuve que esperar tanto, si hoy tuviera un Ultra en vez de un FXII, me sentiría mucho peor que habiendo esperado cerca de un año.
Debéis daros cuenta que Fractal es una pequeña empresa y no da abasto a todos los pedidos, porque todos queremos tener un FXII, pero llegan como por goteo, asi que paciencia. G66 siempre se portó bien conmigo, me dió la posibilidad de devolverme el dinero, si no quería esperar tanto tiempo. Pero decidí esperar pacientemente y ahora tengo mi recompensa.

I build water cooled computers and some of the fans I use (Gentle Typhoons) I have trouble finding in the US, so I order through Aquatuning, who have always been excellent. The have the Revoltech RL036 for about $5.00, shipping and custom fees bring the total to just under $23.00.

Last edited:
I just received a (free) replacement fan from FAS, and it's as quiet as the one in my Ultra. Big improvement.
Is it the same make and model as the original?
I would love to be able to compare the Revoltec RL036 whichever fan you got. I need to do something with mine soon :(

It's not the same make as the original (Hui Tong). I don't remember the new one's make, but it's not Revoltec. FAS sent it to me free of charge. All I did was email them, tell them I was suffering from an overly loud fan, and they sent the new to me. 10 days.

Hmm... this would fix the only gripe with the AxeII... it is very, very loud. I wouldn't even mine paying for a quiet fan as long as it doesn't affect the warranty...

The replacement I got from FAS is much quieter than the original. My understanding is that since it's from FAs, the warranty is still good. It's a very easy job to swap the fan out, by the way.

I actually just requested a replacement fan a few days ago. I got my Axe II early on, and the fan recently started getting real noisy. I actually have the Revoltech RL036 sitting here still in the box. I'd rather use the replacement fan Fractal is sending me, just for warranty purposes. However, when the Fractal replacement arrives I can do a quick, completely unscientific comparison.

I wish we would get an approved replacement here in the States.
(sigh) I suppose I am frustrated enough... is there any way to get that same fan G66 is using here in the States? As in, from some place in the USA, and without spending too much?

AFAIK, it's not available in the U.S. I bought mine on eBay from a reliable seller (thanks to shasha for the tip.) Total cost was just over $16 U.S. and it took just over a week to ship to Mass. Install couldn't have been easier and it's nearly as quiet as the Noiseblocker XR2, which is absolutely silent.

I just replaced my stock fan with a Revoltech supplied by G66. Easy install and wow - what a difference!! I can barely tell the unit is on!

I actually just requested a replacement fan a few days ago. I got my Axe II early on, and the fan recently started getting real noisy. I actually have the Revoltech RL036 sitting here still in the box. I'd rather use the replacement fan Fractal is sending me, just for warranty purposes. However, when the Fractal replacement arrives I can do a quick, completely unscientific comparison.
Please post the make/model of the replacement. I suppose I should just request a replacement..

Yes, please tell me if there are other people whose fans that are not only loud but also change pitch regularly or constantly. That is what mine does, - if it is common to other people I would like to get it resolved because I want to be able to use my II in a room where sax and other instruments are being recorded. BTW I have the II hooked up to a battery backup that should have conditioning and stuff. It should provide constant power - I can't imagine the fan or other circuitry in the Axe II is not the cause, and I seem to remember other people with fans that change pitch from older posts. Please Fractal, tell me how to fix this now - I would be very happy.

I received the replacement fan from Fractal, and did a comparison between the new fan and the Revoltech.

A quick word beforehand. This is obviously a completely un-scientific approach to things, which I know is not this forum's preferred method of testing, but it's the best I could do.

Some quick background information, just so you know where I'm coming from as far as fan noise: I received my Axe-Fx II in August, it's in a rack with with my poweramp and conditioner. The fan noise didn't really bother me until the last few weeks when it started getting very loud. However, it did always have a very annoying pitch to it that made it stand out, even above the sound of 8 radiator fans in the water cooled PC it's next to (the fans are actually very quiet, but 8 of them add up). I always found that a bit annoying, as the Axe doubles as my sound card (yeah, I lug the rack back and forth with me) and sometimes I found the pitch rather distracting.

I tested first by throwing a motherboard on my PC test bench, and then plugging the replacement fan and the Revoltech in to a fan controller. This allowed me to turn them on and off instantly, and turn one on after the other to see how much louder either one was than the other, instead of swapping them out in and out of the Axe and doing my best to accurately gauge the differences. I then also tested each fan in the Axe with the lid on. The original stock fan in my Axe was the Hui Tong, the replacement fan that Fractal sent me is a Top Motor DF126015BL, which is listed at a fan speed of of 4000rpm, a CFM of 16.00, and a Noise level of 29.60 dBA. The Revoltech specs are listed as 2500rpm, 12.31 CFM, and a noise level of 19.99 dBA.

The Revoltech is still far more quiet than the Fractal replacement fan. The Top Motor replacement fan though is quieter than the Hui Tong fan, and does not have the same annoying whine. The Top Motor when installed in the Axe II sounds pretty much the same as my Ultra fan if my memory serves me correctly.

For now I'm sticking with the Top Motor because I think a little noise is better than paying for two fried processors to be replaced. I'm not worried about the heat now, but in July and August, if playing somewhere with an ambient temperature in triple digits and a ton of humidity, I know I'd be worrying.

Of note if using the Revoltech fan: It is 60x60x20mm, as opposed to the 60x60x15mm of the Fractal fans. I was informed that there are two different fan screw sizes that Fractal uses: Approximately 1.29" and 1.49". If your unit has the smaller screws, you will need to remove the white spacers from the rubber standoffs, otherwise you will not have any room to put the bolts back on. I had the shorter screws and had to remove the spacers to test the Revoltech in the Axe. Other than that, no modifications are needed.

Last edited:
I have a spare Revoltec now ..... thought I'd better get one before they started to go up in price due to export demands from the US! :)

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Revoltech replacment that G66 is doing is approved by Fractal, or are they doing it independently of Fractal's approval, and assuming the risk and cost of repair if there was any sort of thermal related damage to the chips due to insufficient cooling? If it was Fractal approved, I'd give more consideration to installing it.

I have a spare Revoltec now ..... thought I'd better get one before they started to go up in price due to export demands from the US! :)

That shouldn't be an issue. As I stated earlier there are several specialized computer parts dealers that carry and export them reguarly, and the demand from what is a relatively small group of Fractal customers shouldnt affect that or the price.

Aquatuning exports them, and FrozenCPU in New York carries Revoltech, though not that model, but as a dealer I'm sure they could get it.

Last edited:
Hey guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but this Scythe Mini Kaze Ultra Quiet Computer Fan 60mm x 20mm appears to be the same fan as the Revoltech fan, just with a different brand name - it's sold here in the US. :)

It looks similar, the Revoltech has a braided cable, but I suppose it could be the same fan otherwise, just rebranded. From a computer building point of view, I have been less than happy with Scythe, and though I have never tested it scientifically, I would question the accuracy of their noise level ratings among other things. I have never used that particular Scythe fan though, so I can't comment on it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom