FM9 quick tone test/demo of the Plexi 50w model

Cainer

Experienced
Lit 'er up in a studio space a while back and forgot I played the Plexi 50w model as well as the Superverb. Unfortunately I didn't do much on the Plexi as I just had too much fun with the super! :p I was using a trem block in front of the amp before I found the amp-block tremolo, which I always use now when I need tremolo and LOVE!
Unfortunately I don't know what happened to this patch, so can't share it with ya, although I do remember it was a stock Marshall 4x12 cab from one of the factory banks. Wish I'd held onto this patch though as it had a real nice punch-in-the-sternum thing goin' on. Always been a Fender guy, but the FM9 is starting to bend me towards Marshalls...(just a bit)

I would use the amp trem if it gave us harmonic trem as an option. The harmonic trem is just so sweet. Before or after the amp. Lately I’m putting it after.

Sounds great. Power amp bias tremolo is addictive when it works. Unfortunately it does not always work well with all amp circuits. Some amps can have ticking and other issues with it at higher depths. That's partly why Fender when to optical tremolo on their higher wattage amps. Hard to beat the sweet trem throb of a tweed Tremolux or Princeton Reverb though.

That's a great sound! It has a whole different feel than what you get with the Fender amp model.
thanks Greg - yeah it's funny that I have spent 99% of my playing life with Fender amps/models, and am super finicky about them and constantly tweaking, and then I plug into a Marshall model and instantly dig it! Have mostly spent time with the Plexi 50 model but it's so nice and juicy/chunky. Maybe there's something to these Marshall amps...🤔

thanks Greg - yeah it's funny that I have spent 99% of my playing life with Fender amps/models, and am super finicky about them and constantly tweaking, and then I plug into a Marshall model and instantly dig it! Have mostly spent time with the Plexi 50 model but it's so nice and juicy/chunky. Maybe there's something to these Marshall amps...🤔
Have you played with the “ODS-100” factory preset, based on Robben Ford’s Dumble? I use a slight variation of it often and enjoy it for blues.

Great playing and tone! Is that a stock bridge pickup?
is it ever not :tearsofjoy: - I've been through like six sets of pickups on this guitar. Came stock with Lace Sensors and a humbucker in the bridge. Right now I have a set of Rocketfire Total 60s (I believe that's the right model name) and really dig them.

I had the tone controls re-wired so I have one of them controlling the bridge pickup, the other one controls mid and neck. That way I can tame the spikiness of the bridge if I need to without dulling the others. I find though with this bridge pickup if you lean into it and push your amp (model lol) hard, you can get a pretty cool searing tone without the icepicks. But it's always a battle with a strat.

Cheers!

is it ever not :tearsofjoy: - I've been through like six sets of pickups on this guitar. Came stock with Lace Sensors and a humbucker in the bridge. Right now I have a set of Rocketfire Total 60s (I believe that's the right model name) and really dig them.

I had the tone controls re-wired so I have one of them controlling the bridge pickup, the other one controls mid and neck. That way I can tame the spikiness of the bridge if I need to without dulling the others. I find though with this bridge pickup if you lean into it and push your amp (model lol) hard, you can get a pretty cool searing tone without the icepicks. But it's always a battle with a strat.

Cheers!
😀 Thanks for replying! Might have to check out this pickups.

But it's always a battle with a strat.
That’s for sure. Jeff Beck said as much about his too.

One of mine is pissed because of the season change right now. I turned on the humidifier and we have a low pressure front rolling in with storms forecast, and the neck decided to shift around so it’s buzzing like crazy. :-/ I’m trying to decide whether to go after it or wait a week and see if it settles down.

Mr. Cainer....98% of my time I`m playing around with the Fender models in the FM9 too, but after hearing this beautiful cleans and the tasty cream on top of the cakes, I´m really tempted to spend some time with this amp model. By the way , the ODS-100 ( especially the HRM scene ) is really worth a look, like Greg said ! Thank you again from Germany, looking forward to your posts !!

Were you ever able to upload or share this preset?
I don't remember if I did or not, but I don't think I have the exact preset any more.
Mr. Cainer....98% of my time I`m playing around with the Fender models in the FM9 too, but after hearing this beautiful cleans and the tasty cream on top of the cakes, I´m really tempted to spend some time with this amp model. By the way , the ODS-100 ( especially the HRM scene ) is really worth a look, like Greg said ! Thank you again from Germany, looking forward to your posts !!
Yeah the Marshall's on the latest gen are pretty epic - I will have to do some digging into the ODS-100 - I tend to get one preset I like and just use it for ages

Back
Top Bottom