Quick Tone Matching Tutorial

If you were matching an amp what is the recommended methodology?

-set up a tone you like on the real amp, duplicate the tone/drive/master on the AFX and go from there, or

-set the AFX AMP block to the default settings, and set the the real amp's tone and drive/gain controls to match the defaults, and get the real Amp master vol as close to the 12 oclock default as you can (it might be hard in some environments to throttle the Master way up).

If you were matching an amp what is the recommended methodology?

-set up a tone you like on the real amp, duplicate the tone/drive/master on the AFX and go from there, or

-set the AFX AMP block to the default settings, and set the the real amp's tone and drive/gain controls to match the defaults, and get the real Amp master vol as close to the 12 oclock default as you can (it might be hard in some environments to throttle the Master way up).

The former.

What an INCREDIBLY useful video :) Thank you so much - I've learned more in those few minutes about tone matching than reading up tons of equally useful info here on the forum/wiki.

Lots of great little tips in there as well - even an experienced tone matcher would have to agree that they learnt something somewhere in that video.

A++ from me ;)

Cliff - This was really helpful to me. One of my favorite amps (Pre Axe) is my JCM2000 DSL 50 Watt. So I get that I take the Output 2 from the axe into the Amp's Input, however I'm not sure where I'm connecting the Device Under Test Output (The JCM2000) . There are no direct outs with this one so am I assuming to mic' the speaker's output and connect to the Input 2 of the Axe.

I also use both Outputs (Output 1 to PA and Output 2 to mixing board) so I assume I disconnect Output 2 when I'm doing the tonematch.

Forgive the basic questions but want to make sure I've got this right.

Thanks

Fantastic! The Gain Matching advice is golden. Thanks a million.

Sir - Can I have some more?

Cliff - This was really helpful to me. One of my favorite amps (Pre Axe) is my JCM2000 DSL 50 Watt. So I get that I take the Output 2 from the axe into the Amp's Input, however I'm not sure where I'm connecting the Device Under Test Output (The JCM2000) . There are no direct outs with this one so am I assuming to mic' the speaker's output and connect to the Input 2 of the Axe.

I also use both Outputs (Output 1 to PA and Output 2 to mixing board) so I assume I disconnect Output 2 when I'm doing the tonematch.

Forgive the basic questions but want to make sure I've got this right.

Thanks

Yes, mic the amp and connect the mic preamp output to Input 2 Left.

That was great....nice tutorial and easy to follow...thank you!

Can I ask what you were playing through to audition? I notice no CAB block was used in the tone matching final results so not to assume you were using FRFR.... or a guitar cabinet here?

Can I ask what you were playing through to audition? I notice no CAB block was used in the tone matching final results so not to assume you were using FRFR.... or a guitar cabinet here?

Huh?

You can use a TMA block in lieu of a cab block.

Great stuff, Cliff. Thanks! The gain-matching trick alone would've made it worthwhile.

This is soo good.
Now,can someone match some kemper presets. Someone who have the amp factory presets.

No one of my freinds have the Kemper,he he
They got the Axe Fx 2 ;)

Back
Top Bottom