Quick Rreview: FM3 6 Months Later

LiquidGuitar

Inspired
*First, big props to Fractal for allowing and encouraging reviews.

Background: I've played guitar for about 25 years, been in recording studios, self recording since '98, self-described tube amp snob.

Story: I saw an ad for a Mooer modeler in Premier Guitar and thought, "hell, I could mess with one of those". But, as I do, I quickly wanted the best and was led to Fractal. This is why: a) great sounding demos on YouTube (partly because of Leon Todd), b) I had confidence I could problem solve with the awesome message board community, c) the manuals were well-written.

Quick verdict: 10 out of 10 stars. One of the best guitar purchases I've ever made. Excellent value.

Longer verdict:

---Pros:
i) Amazing sound quality.
ii) After a short learning curve, I just got the system and am fully confident in it.
iii) Built like a tank.
iv) Excellent overall value.
v) Amazing presets.
vi) Awesome message board community.
vii) Awesome updates.

---Cons:
i) I've had a hard time mating it with the right power amp. Headphones and recording are great, but I'm still working on using the effects loop of a tube amp. I'll probably just get a SS power amp one day, but until then, that part of the equation isn't perfect.

Conclusion: I've played (and owned) some fantastic amps and the FM3 sounds just as good. I'm blown away. I've compared the pedals to the real ones and... they sound the same. I'll probably have a Fractal unit as long as I'm playing guitar.

And, if anyone is listening:

i) Please don't add a touchscreen to future products!
ii) Please don't make future products Wi-Fi only (or Wi-Fi at all)!

Thanks Fractal!

---Cons:
i) I've had a hard time mating it with the right power amp. Headphones and recording are great, but I'm still working on using the effects loop of a tube amp. I'll probably just get a SS power amp one day, but until then, that part of the equation isn't perfect.

It sure is a lot of damn fun, isn't it?? :)

I think there should be a sticky regarding how to power/monitor these units. It is the most
essential element. It can make ALL the difference.

I have browsed through a lot of old threads and this has been a "thing" since there were modelers.
Honestly, I am still trying to explore "with the band" live options using the FM3. Have been using
a 100watt EL34 based tube amp into a 2x12 cab. It sounds great. Yet I think there are other possibilities
for a more accurate and inspiring setup.

Totally agree! The only clear advantage a tube amp has (in my humble opinion) is that it comes with a matching power amp.*

I have studio monitors, I should have mentioned, and the FM3 sounds great through them. But I can admit that sometimes I'm lazy and don't want to power up the computer to play guitar. I'm getting inspiring tones with my Senn HD 600s headphones, and I'd really like to hear that through my cabs.

I have an idea about how to "neutralize" my tube amp effects loop (i.e., how to make it more neutral), but I'll save that for another day.

*But even then it's not so simple. Some amps have little headroom, others have no MV...

Hopefully you share that at some point. :)
Sure, I don't think it's super brilliant.

I'm going to use an FM3 synth block to send pink noise (or white noise) through the effects loop of my tube amp, then use my Suhr RL into my DAW to see what my tube amp is doing to a flat signal.

Next I'm going to add an EQ block after the synth block and try to get the pink noise (or white noise) as flat as I can.

I'll then save those EQ settings and add them as the last block to any present when I'm trying to use the FM3 through my tube amp effects loop.

(I'm not sure about optimal levels for the pink / white noise, and I'm still not sure which would be better (pink or white). But that's the basic idea.)

I'm still working on using the effects loop of a tube amp.
I didn't have much success with amp effects loops either. Had much better success running the FM3 into the front of the amp; gain set right before the edge of breakup. Play around with the amps tone controls, one amp needed the treble turned down to 1-2 to get the tones I wanted.

Sure, I don't think it's super brilliant.

I'm going to use an FM3 synth block to send pink noise (or white noise) through the effects loop of my tube amp, then use my Suhr RL into my DAW to see what my tube amp is doing to a flat signal.

Next I'm going to add an EQ block after the synth block and try to get the pink noise (or white noise) as flat as I can.

I'll then save those EQ settings and add them as the last block to any present when I'm trying to use the FM3 through my tube amp effects loop.

(I'm not sure about optimal levels for the pink / white noise, and I'm still not sure which would be better (pink or white). But that's the basic idea.)

Wow. Great idea. I think my amps are about as neutral as I can get them,
but it makes sense to correct for anything they may be adding with an EQ Block.

I am currently running into the FX Retrurn of a Bogner Goldfinger and a Mesa Fillmore 50.
I just snagged a couple of active floor monitors and want to compare and contrast the
setups to see what the pluses and minuses are of each.

Wow. Great idea. I think my amps are about as neutral as I can get them,
but it makes sense to correct for anything they may be adding with an EQ Block.

I am currently running into the FX Retrurn of a Bogner Goldfinger and a Mesa Fillmore 50.
I just snagged a couple of active floor monitors and want to compare and contrast the
setups to see what the pluses and minuses are of each.
Word. Report back about those floor monitors. I've been using the effects loops of a Bogner Atma and Bogner Helios, so we're probably in the same territory.

Currently I have a Bogner Helios 2x12 (V30 and G12M-CB 65) closed back and a Mojave 1x12 (G12H30) semi-closed. I'll be getting another Mesa OS this year, probably... But I've been spending most time on that Helios 2x12, it's a sweet cab.

Nice! I've been rifling through speakers in my cabs trying to find the best pairing.

Been through a few V30s, Creamback 65s and 75s, Warehouse Reaper, Man O War, ET65
and older Celestion G12-65s and G12T-75s.

I know finding a neutral speaker is not possible, but one that doesn't colour the tone too
much and have a pronounced voice is kind of what I am aiming for. I have not jived with
V30s for some reason with the Fractal. Currently I have Warehouse ET65s in both of the
1 x 12 cabs that are on opposite sides of the room I am in.

At our rehearsal space I am using a 2 x 12 semi open back cab with Madison Divinity 75 watters
in it.

Matrix all the way! I only have the GT800FX but its got plenty of "umph" for me and I don't have to turn off the power amp modeling, only the Cab if I'm connected to my V30s.

Matrix all the way! I only have the GT800FX but its got plenty of "umph" for me and I don't have to turn off the power amp modeling, only the Cab if I'm connected to my V30s.
Thanks, the Matrix is on my list. I'd like to not buy a SS amp, still messing with effects loop on the tube amps, but I probably will one day...

I feel like solid-state and FRFR have an hard time mimicing that distinctive low-mid throatiness
of a tube power section.

Call in the dogs on me if you must!!! :)

Granted I have not tried every solid-state solution, or every potential speaker and cab option. I do,
however, see a lot of the same themes and issues arising, and my own limited experience is confirming
those issues.

I am getting more clarity and articulation with some solid-state powered monitors. Thank those dreaded tweeters
for that, I suppose. :)

The mids are off, though. I am going to try running a tube preamp in between the FM3s and the powered monitors.
Pretty sure I have one with a parametric EQ on it, and I am going to see if I can both "warm" up and soften the treble
frequencies, and dial some of that low-mid throatiness that is just not there now.

I will say BOTH ways sound really f'ing good. I can easily live with solid-state power and tweeters. The
added articulation is nice, and with tube power there is more of a warm smear on the top-end. Maybe
some would say it is "smoother."

Options are nice. Not really ready to make the massive leap of faith that would say you can make them
both sound the same. That's not my experience. Yet. :)

I like your observation about clarity and articulation. That seems right to me too, at least when I'm playing on my 5" studio monitors. I like "warm smear" too.

So far, the best sounds I'm getting from the FM3 are on headphones (Senn HD 600s). If a Matrix power amp could get me there with my 2x12 cab, that's all I'd want.

I'm still going to try to find some EQ settings to make the tube amp / effects loop route more neutral (because I'd like to buy a new bass and not a SS amp), but that's no dig on the FM3.

Back
Top Bottom