Quick recording with Danny Danzi's settings on a JCM 800 mod...

Black Bitch

Fractal Fanatic
I did a quick test with Danny's settings and the JCM 800 mod....wow it's very punchy and smooth and creamy with my Matrix Q12A. Recording I would have to do some eq I think, but there wasn't time for. So I did some noddling over "Going Down" nothing fancy as I haven't played now 2 month recarding injury on my middlefinger. It still hurts but it's getting better now and going to practice now again - getting ready for the G3

https://soundcloud.com/tony-sch-fer/going-down-new-270115-1612 this link should now work.

This are the settings from Danny - i think i did some minor tweaks to it - musst have a look for that. I Think MV on 4....
Keith, one thing I have noticed (also being a Marshall user in the AxeFx) is Cliff really got it close. So close in fact that it's squishy and sort of dead like a Marshall unless you use one of those JVM models which to me sound like the newer more modern Marshalls with the beefed up pre-amp.

But if you are using say, the Brit 800 or the Brit Mod like I use, this new update made it more realistic....and that means, it actually takes away from whatever you may have had before in MY opinion. Sometimes "more realistic" in this modeling business...can go against us. But that's not a bad thing. Here's what I do....which in MY case, the new "Cliff mod" didn't effect my sounds.

Ok, if you are not using any pedal distortion or something to slightly beef up the Marshall pre-amp side, it's going to sound dull. So try putting a distortion pedal before the amp. I use a t-808 od before the amp. Now the key here is to not run much of the pedal....you just want to drive the amp a bit so it doesn't sound so dull. My settings are:

Drive - 2.78
Tone - 6.00 (this in my opinion is what makes the amp come to life and pulls out some of the dullness)
Level: 7.98 (controlling this via expression pedal with all the above settings will keep your tone and just lower your gain if need be)
Mix - 100

Next page...not sure these are altered from some stock sound many FW versions ago...but this works for me.

Low cut: 700 Hz
High cut: 800 Hz
Clip type: SI Diode
Slew limit: 477
Bias 0.010

All the other pages in the pedal are unaltered.

As for my amp setting, not sure it will help you because I don't know what version of the Marshall you are using. But I use the Marshall mod.

Input drive: 6.04
Input trim: 1.200 (might be a bit hot for you. I use a drop tuning down to C so I need a little more gain due to the slack. Try from 8.00 to 1.000)
Bass (no cut) 8.42
Mid (no fat) 5.92
Treb (bright on) 6.81
Bright : 0.00
Pres: 2.47
Depth: 0
Tube Type: EL 34/6CA7
Neg FDBK: 2.00
MV: 3.5
Out LV: -10.5

All my other stuff I messed with deals with tweaking my tone match for the most part. I'm not even sure any of those settings above will help you...but it may get you closer to what you are looking for.

Also, before the drive pedal, I have a compressor using Pedal comp 2 for a little more push and tightness. You may or may not need that....but it tightens things up for me just having it on a little bit. I use a lot of high gain tones. Probably too nuts for what you may be looking for (Journey) but this works for me.

This is me just going through a few patches of my high gain stuff using the Marshall 800 mod amp with the settings I mentioned above. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._SoundTest.mp3

Last edited:
Would like to listen to the sound test MP3 but get ERROR 404 message when I click the link...

Would like to listen to the sound test MP3 but get ERROR 404 message when I click the link...

I don't why it does not work at your end - when I click on it it works fine and I have already 40 clicks, which means it musst have been OK?

Very nice tone, I like how it cuts through so easily. Thanks for all the good advice too, keen to try that out!

Why type of guitar did you use? i.e. single coils or other?

Very nice tone, I like how it cuts through so easily. Thanks for all the good advice too, keen to try that out!

Why type of guitar did you use? i.e. single coils or other?

The guitar is a FGN Les Paul `59 Relic (Serial Nr. 062) - it is handmade and has a vintage sound - so it's Humbuckers made by Harry Häussel. Here is a picture of the guitar.

So with my Indie Les Paul she's more of a beast will probably sound better or atleast the same - tomorrow night i'm at a session and give it a go with my "Black Bitch" thats what i call her cause she's got a nasty tone...

IMG-20150128-WA0005small.jpg

Where did you originally read about his settings, on this forum?

It's in the thread FW 17.04 released on page 8

Jan-19-2015, 02:52 PM #159
Danny Danzi's Avatar Join Date
Aug 2013
Quote Originally Posted by keithguitarfan View Post
I played a gig this weekend with the new firmware and didnt have time to test it beforehand. I too experienced a very different feel and tone but some amp models like the mesa boogie sound much better but my higher gain marshall tones for the Journey songs feel squishy and kinda dead. I am going to try what cliff just suggested. Also my main clean tone isn't jumping out and cutting like it was. I am sure it is just a tweak here and there away. Now just to be clear everything still sounds amazing and I am not complaining in the least bit. The axe fx 2 is absolutely incredible.
Cliff I believe I read somewhere a little while back that there were new factory presets being created for the newer firmware. If I read that correctly is there a rough estimated date for them?
Keith, one thing I have noticed (also being a Marshall user in the AxeFx) is Cliff really got it close. So close in fact that it's squishy and sort of dead like a Marshall unless you use one of those JVM models which to me sound like the newer more modern Marshalls with the beefed up pre-amp.

But if you are using say, the Brit 800 or the Brit Mod like I use, this new update made it more realistic....and that means, it actually takes away from whatever you may have had before in MY opinion. Sometimes "more realistic" in this modeling business...can go against us. But that's not a bad thing. Here's what I do....which in MY case, the new "Cliff mod" didn't effect my sounds.

Ok, if you are not using any pedal distortion or something to slightly beef up the Marshall pre-amp side, it's going to sound dull. So try putting a distortion pedal before the amp. I use a t-808 od before the amp. Now the key here is to not run much of the pedal....you just want to drive the amp a bit so it doesn't sound so dull. My settings are:

Drive - 2.78
Tone - 6.00 (this in my opinion is what makes the amp come to life and pulls out some of the dullness)
Level: 7.98 (controlling this via expression pedal with all the above settings will keep your tone and just lower your gain if need be)
Mix - 100

Next page...not sure these are altered from some stock sound many FW versions ago...but this works for me.

Low cut: 700 Hz
High cut: 800 Hz
Clip type: SI Diode
Slew limit: 477
Bias 0.010

All the other pages in the pedal are unaltered.

As for my amp setting, not sure it will help you because I don't know what version of the Marshall you are using. But I use the Marshall mod.

Input drive: 6.04
Input trim: 1.200 (might be a bit hot for you. I use a drop tuning down to C so I need a little more gain due to the slack. Try from 8.00 to 1.000)
Bass (no cut) 8.42
Mid (no fat) 5.92
Treb (bright on) 6.81
Bright : 0.00
Pres: 2.47
Depth: 0
Tube Type: EL 34/6CA7
Neg FDBK: 2.00
MV: 3.5
Out LV: -10.5

All my other stuff I messed with deals with tweaking my tone match for the most part. I'm not even sure any of those settings above will help you...but it may get you closer to what you are looking for.

Also, before the drive pedal, I have a compressor using Pedal comp 2 for a little more push and tightness. You may or may not need that....but it tightens things up for me just having it on a little bit. I use a lot of high gain tones. Probably too nuts for what you may be looking for (Journey) but this works for me.

This is me just going through a few patches of my high gain stuff using the Marshall 800 mod amp with the settings I mentioned above. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._SoundTest.mp3

Quite a bit of this sound is probably due to my tone match setting which comes from me literally tone matching one of my old tones and then sweetening it up with the AxeFx. It brings my annoying pinch harmonics out a little more resembling my 12AX7 pre-amp characteristic. You know...that sort of starved plate sound. For recording this tone works really well with a little low passing to remove some of the sizzle in the high end. For live, I low pass it even more and it really sounds nice through 25 watt Greenback Celestions. Anyway, I hope some of this helps you. Just juice up the amp you are using a little bit with a distortion and a compressor and it should come right back to life for you. Good luck!

-Danny

Back
Top Bottom