Quick question for Axe FX II: Headphones - Monitor - or Amp?

mgavin

Experienced
So I don't have that much cash for all three options - I have enough for the first two, and will save for the third...

So i'm considering grabbing a pair of Beyerdynamic Dt880 600 ohms headphones and a Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 headphone amp for the headphones, OR, I was also considering a Mackie HD1221 wedge instead of the headphones. I can only afford one for now. Any thoughts or opinions on these options or other suggestions? Thanks in advance!!!

Also how freaking funny is it to use the Axe FX II with tubes for your headphones? That's hilarious. (I'm new to this hifi audio stuff.)

My final goal is a Suhr Bella Amp, that thing sounds very nice! :D

Depends on your needs. Do you play out a lot or is this just for home use ?

I personally hate headphones, even good ones. Just isn't fun to sit there and play with cans on.

My vote goes to a powered monitor set, if for home use, like some KRK's or Adam's. Great low volume tone, and can get pretty loud too. Mine are hooking up to a mixer and I use them for my PC as well, music playback etc.

If you need something for live use, CLR or Xitone's are fantastic (plus actually can work for home volume quite well too)

I got me some powered headphones (Blue Mo-Fi, highly recommended) and powered studio monitors (Monoprice 5, great bang for your buck) and I'm satisfied with my purchases!

Not as much right now. Luke you have the lcd-2 what amp do you like? Will the Valhalla 2 work well w dt-880 600 ohms?

If you cannot make noise at home (such as my situation), then a very good set of headphones will do the job. Having said that, if you DIDN'T have to worry about noise at home then first choice is monitors.

For headphones, you don't really need a headphone amp, the Axe-Fx has very good quality components in it already - I would try it without spending money on a headphone amp first.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the BeyerDynamics 880, although I am very keen to try out the Mo-Fis as well. If you are looking for a good reference sound, then the 880s are very flat and honest, but I also hear lots of praise about the Mo-Fis too.

I plug my LCD-2s straight into the Axe Fx, or I did before I built a soundproof studio.

monitors over a wedge?
How about a single monitor, is that useful at all? or is 2 pretty much a requirement.

You don't need the headphone amp. The 600 ohms will work great. I have the same phones but 250 ohm and I can't turn output 1 past 9 or 10 o'clock or it's just too loud. Quality is fine, and I'm very used to the hi end audio world with all hi end tube, electrostatic panels and friggin expensive cables, etc.

If I could only get one, I'd get the monitor if I could play quietly. I only use headphones when I have too (i.e. late at night, or when my wife can't stand it). But you can always just use a cheap pair of earbuds or something. You don't need to spend that much on phones. My DT880's were only a couple hundred bucks new, I think, and they're very nice.

edit: btw, if you're pinching pennies to get audio gear, don't get into hi end audio stuff. It's like race cars and can get expensive especially if you get addicted to the gear. You don't need to spend too much to get good sounding quality gear, imho.

Back
Top Bottom