Quick question... bass related, but more FM9-specific

cybersnyder

I don't use a fancy setup with a lot of effects but if I want to have two parallel paths, path A with say an SV model and a cab, and path B more of a direct path / channel strip then I need the FM9 to accomplish that because I need the second cab block with null IR to get the channel strip functionality. The FM3 won't permit that. Right? I don't want to wait a year and then find out, oh I could have done that on the FM3 a year ago with no waitlist.

Yes. The FM3 only supports one amp block and one cab block. The FM9 and Axe III support two of each.

what of the "channel strip functionality" would you want for the 2nd path? maybe you could accomplish that with other blocks?

You could "sort of" do this but probably not what you want.

The cab block can be set up in stereo. Put your Amp path into one side with your IR of choice, and your direct path into the other side with the Null IR.

However the Preamp (channel strip) changes you make will apply to both sides.

what of the "channel strip functionality" would you want for the 2nd path? maybe you could accomplish that with other blocks?
Yes. The direct into-the-board path could be a compressor, tube drive pedal and parametric EQ. No IR needed. Maybe I am missing something, but I don’t understand a need for a null IR that does nothing.

Yes. The direct into-the-board path could be a compressor, tube drive pedal and parametric EQ. No IR needed. Maybe I am missing something, but I don’t understand a need for a null IR that does nothing.
The point is using the Preamp in the Cab block.

This is the most similar to plugging directly into an old school console.

It's actually why the Null IR was created as far as I'm aware.

The point is using the Preamp in the Cab block.

This is the most similar to plugging directly into an old school console.

It's actually why the Null IR was created as far as I'm aware.
Ah... I see. I never used that because I used the tube pre amp block for direct tones which isn't an option here.

Ah... I see. I never used that because I used the tube pre amp block for direct tones which isn't an option here.
Yeah... Different things, though both can get good results.

Compressor + Drive + EQ is another great option as you mentioned.

Thanks! So, to do it “the right way” (tm) I need the FM-9 or, of course, FX-III. I’ve been YouTubing and was hoping the edit software allowed a demo mode, but it looks like it’s more of just a controller. Understandable. I’ll just be patient and you can laugh at me being on the waitlist as of 11/29/2022. Heh. It’s going to be awhile, but the richness of the Fractal sound will be worth the wait.

Thanks! So, to do it “the right way” (tm) I need the FM-9 or, of course, FX-III. I’ve been YouTubing and was hoping the edit software allowed a demo mode, but it looks like it’s more of just a controller. Understandable. I’ll just be patient and you can laugh at me being on the waitlist as of 11/29/2022. Heh. It’s going to be awhile, but the richness of the Fractal sound will be worth the wait.
Correct... The editor is simply a "client" of the hardware.

EDIT: Deleted post. Accidentally replied to the wrong conversation. Doh!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom