Quick question about using an External Looper

crg123

Experienced
Hey guys I have a Jamman Stereo I want to use as an external looper for the Axe FX in a home studio with powered studio monitors (KRK VXT8s).

I was wondering where the best placement of the Jamman would be. I tried it in the FX loop at the end of the chain and it seems to make the signal clip and add this awful distortion or it's just otherwise changing the tone of the guitar signal in an unpleasant way.

I was thinking about connecting Output 1 L/R into the Jamman then into my VXT8s but I wanted to make sure that wouldn't cause any issues. It almost seems like putting a pedal between an amp and a speaker to me but it might not be since the "power" section is really in the speaker itself

Let me know what you guys think is the best course of action. I want to be safe and not possibly damage anything haha Thanks!

With the pedal after the axe, you aren't putting anything between amp and speaker, because, as you say, the amp is in the speaker, therefore after the pedal.

Your fx loop method should work, you probably just sent too much level to the looper from out 2. Does the jam man have input clip lights?

Yep! It has input clip lights.

In order for me to get the clipping light on the jamman not turn orange or red I have to keep the instrument level on the Jamman at around 10:00. This creates about a 18 db drop between when the looper block is on and off. I measured that by using the level knob in the mixer section of the FX loop block. When I turn the level knob in the looper block that much the tone sounds not so great, it adds this crackling fizzyness to the overall signal.

I have my output 2 level knob on the Axe at Noon btw, any more then that it doesnt seem to raise the volume just makes my speakers pop and crackle like crazy.

It has input clip lights.

In order for me to get the clipping light on the jamman not turn orange or red I have to keep the instrument level on the Jamman at around 10:00. This creates about a 18 db drop between when the looper block is on and off. I measured that by using the level knob in the mixer section of the FX loop block. When I turn the level knob in the looper block that much the tone sounds not so great, it adds this crackling fizzyness to the overall signal.
How high is the jamman output knob?

It doesn't really seem like there is an output knob. Just the Instrument input level which I mentioned before and a Loop level, which alters the level of what being looped. That's at around 11:30 but I haven't messed with it too much yet. Right now I'm just trying to get the tone to match when the fx loop is turned on and off.

Knobs on the Jamman:
Looper Level, Rhythm Level (off), Preset selector knob, Mic Level (off), Instrument level. (which is at 10:00 in order for it not to clip)

Thanks for trying to help with this.

Last edited:
Sounds like you may need to increase the Level of the Fx Loop block.

It seems the Jamman isn't unity gain perhaps? Where is your Axe Out 2 knob set? If you reduce that and increase the Inst knob on the jamman, does that help? Did you set the Input 2 level in the Axe I/O menu appropriately?

I tried messing with some things The Axe Out 2 is set to around 10:00, the Jamman is set to 10:00 for the instrument, the I/O input for Output 2 is 49.8% (The default for Instrument In and Input 1 as a well).

Turning the Axe Out 2 down and cranking the Looper block level to 20 db it seems to have leveled out without any crackling. It does seem to take out some of the low end for some reason though, and seems to add a tiny bit more gain it might just be the way the pedal affects the signal I guess.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom