Quick note: AC30 & FW 7 beta2

solo-act

Fractal Fanatic
If you notice your AC30 TB missing a little oomph, try amp page > dynamics > Preamp CF Compress

I noticed it was at over 75% (don't know if that was me or prior FW) and after selecting another and and reselecting, it's down to zero. I brought it to about 25% and that helped get some punch back. YMMV, but that worked for me.

Also.. go to dynamics > Out Comp Clarity and turn it back up. It used to be on 10. I found this and one above brought some life back to it. It kinda mellowed out with this FW update.

When I looked at previous versions, the default was 75% as you mentioned in your OP.
With the other changes of the final release, I hope Cliff restores the right value:).

amp page > dynamics > Preamp CF Compress

I noticed it was at over 75%

Yes, you're right. I've posted screen captures of the settings I had in Q6.01. Some I tweaked, but most were at the default value. It would be interesting to know from Cliff why that parameter went from 75% to 0%, along with any others that changed. Is it the result of more accurate calculations?

upload_2017-2-15_8-13-16.png

upload_2017-2-15_8-13-30.png

upload_2017-2-15_8-13-41.png

upload_2017-2-15_8-13-52.png

upload_2017-2-15_8-14-1.png

upload_2017-2-15_8-14-9.png

upload_2017-2-15_8-14-18.png

I redialed quickly before gig yesterday. A convenient way to compare parameters is to copy your amp from X to Y BEFORE you select another amp and return (which resets advanced parameters to new FW).

After you de-select/select your X amp, you can flip back and forth between X & Y on each amp page and see what has changed. There's more than what I mentioned, those two helped bring back some mojo.

After comparing X/Y on all patches, I liked the new version better except AC30TB patches. Of those I redialed enough to re-use, but I had to keep a couple non-7beta2 versions because I couldn't quickly dial to be as good or better.

If anyone discovers other ways to get the mojo back, please post.

Also you can save as .CSV and use a file compare program. On Windows something like WinDiff, or even the DOS fc command.

Remember some parameters are not absolute values. The parameter is a multiplier or some other relationship to the underlying model. In those cases, the value we see as "good" depends on the underlying model. When the model changes these values may need new defaults to get the same accuracy.

It's hard to judge whether going from 75% to 0% was because the parameter got inadvertently whacked or the underlying model is so different 75% doesn't make sense any more.

Have you tried changing the tube type or putting the SDD preamp in front?

It definitely has lost some kick.
No - I didn't want to use any band aids; I just wanted to see (in 10-15 minutes I had pre-gig) what in the amp might help bring back the mojo.

Back
Top Bottom