quick noise floor comparison between III and IIXL+

Oh sweet, thanks for making this! I have been wondering about the noise floor between the units and was almost convinced to just get a 2, but this alone will make me sit through the painful wait list. Thanks again.

Oh sweet, thanks for making this! I have been wondering about the noise floor between the units and was almost convinced to just get a 2, but this alone will make me sit through the painful wait list. Thanks again.
Yeah, on certain presets it is really a more marked difference like the one I used, but I think everything benefits from this particular improvement.

I only had an Axe2XL+ for about 3 months. I never heard that much RF sounding noise at either of 2 locations. Nor have I heard that much noise on an AX8. Both were dead silent. Are you near a lot of fluorescent lights?

Edit: is there a noise gate on most of the presets that I never noticed. Because I used a lot of high gain presets and never noticed any background noise when using a humbucker guitar.

I only had an Axe2XL+ for about 3 months. I never heard that much RF sounding noise at either of 2 locations. Nor have I heard that much noise on an AX8. Both were dead silent. Are you near a lot of fluorescent lights?

Edit: is there a noise gate on most of the presets that I never noticed. Because I used a lot of high gain presets and never noticed any background noise when using a humbucker guitar.
there is an input gate in the II (and ax8)that is easy to be unaware of and i disabled that for this test. the input gates on the III are in the input. blocks .also the Bassman about to explode preset is especiAlly gainy(hence the name ) which does accentuate the test...

I wonder whether there's a source of interference somewhere. The noise floor of Fractal gear is broadband; the noise in this clip is not.

Exactly the same findings here as well, thanks for illustrating it!!!

On the 2 (at least mine) this was always a pet hate when recording which seems to have been cleaned up majorly. I'm guessing higher quality components and better shielding. I havent played with the ground lifts yet. Cant remember if they came engaged or not.

Wonder if the Fractal guys would have time to comment on how they improved it.

Last edited:
there is an input gate in the II (and ax8)that is easy to be unaware of and i disabled that for this test. the input gates on the III are in the input. blocks .also the Bassman about to explode preset is especiAlly gainy(hence the name ) which does accentuate the test...
I have an AxeFx XL, and this noise sounds sounds exactly the same as mine on high gain presets.. Glad to hear the noise floor being considerably lower on the III

I have a II Mk1 and I never had such noise you have with the XL. That sounds really strange!
Remember that I disabled the Input Gate , which was not meant to be for that particular preset, to accentuate the noise floor I heard, when the gate is enabled, obviously the effect is negated.

I always play with disabled input gate, no noise gates at all! I never liked it and never needed it, because the noise floor is very low. Most probably not as low as with the III, but certainly lower than what your recording shows.

I'm not saying you did something wrong, I'm just saying that it's really strange. All the more respect towards the III, maybe it would be practically silent here :cool:

What we are hearing is not the "noise floor" of the Axe II, unless your unit has a problem. The noise on my II is extremely low and random (white/pink)...nothing whatsoever like this clip. The only way noise even becomes noticeable is when the gain is so over-the-top that it is to the point of lunacy and totally unusable.

If you get this noise with the input unplugged or with the guitar volume down, then you either have a defective II, or there is a major source of interference radiating into the chassis.

I'm sure the III has lower noise, but I've never experienced noise like this with my II.

Last edited:
What we are hearing is not the "noise floor" of the Axe II, unless your unit has a problem. The noise on my II is extremely low and random (white/pink)...nothing whatsoever like this clip. The only way noise even becomes noticeable is when the gain is so over-the-top that it is to the point of lunacy and totally unusable.

If you get this noise with the input unplugged or with the guitar volume down, then you either have a defective II, or there is a major source of interference radiating into the chassis.

I'm sure the III has lower noise, but I've never experienced noise like this with my II.
Perhaps. I will try to further isolate my units upon my return home and see if I am indeed mistaken. For now I stand by my results..with that particular preset.. which is indeed over the top gain.

Back
Top Bottom