Quick clip, new Ultra, opinions/suggestions please.

MM-Chris

Experienced
Here's a quick clip with the Ultra using Recto Orange/Recto 30W and the gain around noon. It's boring, repetitive, and the playing is sloppy, but I'm just trying to nail a tone (or get close) so if you're looking to be blown away by rad metal licks, you may want to look elsewhere. :lol

I have a basic setup that I use for my guitar bus that I left on here.

-2db at 200Hz to get rid of boominess
-2.5db at 5k to get rid of thinness
-2db at 8k (sloping up) to ditch the hiss

Here's the track with an impromptu bassline. I am a shitty bass player and I did my damndest to play it without a pick, so be warned, it's not as tight as it should be.

Doubletracked, 95% pan on each, same patch. (I'll end up going with a different cab for the second track next time.)

With my sloppy bassline

Here's the clip with no bass:

With no bassline.

Recording-types, what should I be looking to do here to get this to clean up? Remember, this has zero post-EQ, no compressors, nothing but the above EQing on the guitar bus, and my usual drum mix (which I'm still working on). I'm not shooting for a final tone here, I'm trying to get close to something that I can use with some post-EQ before adding in the various mixing and mastering bits.

I listened to it on two sets of monitors and it's in the right direction, but it's not sitting right on my ear right now, and I know that a lead track and some harmonies would just end up making a mess.

I think it sounds good! Is this using the stock cab IRs? Do you have any sort of drive block in front of the Recto?

Thanks man. I know it's a bit on the dark side (insert Vader noise here), but I think it's headed in the right direction. There's no drive block, but I run an 808 in front of the Ultra itself.

I have a hipass in the chain at around 6k, and after a few more listens I think I need to kick it up a bit higher. The fact that my bass tone is terrible doesn't help either, haha.

Sounds good. The first clip I posted also used the Recto Orange, but was a completely different style. Just goes to show how versatile this single amp model is. I love the Recto Orange.

I think there is something wrong here, you know, the guitar is not exactly clean, there's a lot of noise going on, you know, lot of chugga chugga, like those crazy metal dudes who don't know what the guitar is supposed to sound ...

:p

(sorry, I just couldn't resist. My comment doesn't have any real relevance simply because I am not metal/hard core player)

Back
Top Bottom