Quick bypass for FX?

hw2nw

Hi all - just got my FM3 today, and am completely overwhelmed by the interface! As i'm using it as a studio recording tool, i'm going to be using mainly simple amp -> cab setups.

Is there a shortcut/way to quickly go in and bypass all FX? The unit has reverbs and delays on almost everything so far, and it'd be great to pull up profiles and hear them dry first.

Or will I need to go in with the software editor and change all the profiles?

Thanks!

Go to the Layout. Nav to each block and press the A-E knob that says “bypass” - I think it’s B.

Save the preset when you’re done by pressing Store, then Enter, and Enter again.

The Edit software on a computer is much easier to use. Just double click a block to bypass, then press Save.

There is no “bypass all effects” button because what counts as an “effect” to one person is different than someone else.

I would also suggest creating your own presets that have exactly what you want.

Just FYI, there are no "profiles"... There are Amp models... Or maybe you mean presets?

Also if you use the editor you can select a block and then press the space bar to toggle it's Bypass state. You'd still have to bypass them individually but it might be faster.

I don’t sit before my FM3, but i can remember you could adjust the global reverb and delay mix in the system settings, so turn them to min!

I'll ask this here to avoid a new thread.

My guitar has a piezo p/u and I want to be able to quickly bypass all effects (that way I can turn down the humbuckers and turn up the piezo).

I don't see any way to assign a switch to bypass multiple blocks (is there?). The only way I can see to do it efficiently is to save a "bypass" scene. Is this correct or is there a better way?

Thanks for any help.

I'll ask this here to avoid a new thread.

My guitar has a piezo p/u and I want to be able to quickly bypass all effects (that way I can turn down the humbuckers and turn up the piezo).

I don't see any way to assign a switch to bypass multiple blocks (is there?). The only way I can see to do it efficiently is to save a "bypass" scene. Is this correct or is there a better way?

Thanks for any help.
I think you could add a Control Switch to the Bypass of the blocks you want and use that to turn them off or on for a particular scene.

I think you could add a Control Switch to the Bypass of the blocks you want and use that to turn them off or on for a particular scene.
I'll play around with it and see, but I was thinking you could only assign one block to a control switch (not an entire signal chain).

I'll play around with it and see, but I was thinking you could only assign one block to a control switch (not an entire signal chain).
You can assign bypass (and a bunch of other stuff) to any Control Switch (or externally-connected footswitch). One of my presets uses a single switch to bypass one Delay block, unbypass another Delay block, and kick in a chorus.

But I think it would be simpler to create an all-bypass scene. Less futzing around to set it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Den
You can assign bypass (and a bunch of other stuff) to any footswitch you want. It doesn't have to be a control switch.
Please elaborate... Because I don't think that's correct.

An FC (or FM3) switch can only be assigned a single function. What function allows that... A Control Switch is the only way I'm aware of (besides scenes).

Edit:

By the way, I'm happy to be proven wrong ;)

Just create an identical scene with the effect bypassed. One click to change from a scene with effects active to a copy of the same scene with effects bypassed.

Please elaborate... Because I don't think that's correct.

An FC (or FM3) switch can only be assigned a single function. What function allows that... A Control Switch is the only way I'm aware of (besides scenes).

Edit:

By the way, I'm happy to be proven wrong ;)
Nope, you're right. It has to be a Control Switch or an externally-connected switch. I had my hardware screwed up. :)

You guys confirmed what I thought. I just wanted to ask in case I was missing something.

It seems the only way is to create a bypassed scene. That's fine on about 99% of presets, but there are a few that I hate to erase any of eight scenes just for a bypass.

Thanks again.

You guys confirmed what I thought. I just wanted to ask in case I was missing something.

It seems the only way is to create a bypassed scene. That's fine on about 99% of presets, but there are a few that I hate to erase any of eight scenes just for a bypass.

Thanks again.
You can use a Control Switch as mentioned...

You can use a Control Switch as mentioned...
Sorry, I missed that. I'll probably have to watch a Leon Todd video. Being fairly new to Fractal I've only messed around with direct assignments to footswitches (so there is one task assigned to either an onboard or external switch).

Thanks again.

You could set multiple block bypasses to the same external switch in the I/O menu. (Use a momentary switch but tell the Axe/FM3 it's latching to get one-press bypass at any time. Without doing this you'd have to press a toggle twice if the last action was bypassing.)

A control switch and bypass modifiers would cause the blocks involved to be all engaged or all bypassed at any time. This probably wouldn't be what you're looking for, and it would definitely make scenes in most factory presets not work as intended.

You could set multiple block bypasses to the same external switch in the I/O menu. (Use a momentary switch but tell the Axe/FM3 it's latching to get one-press bypass at any time. Without doing this you'd have to press a toggle twice if the last action was bypassing.)

A control switch and bypass modifiers would cause the blocks involved to be all engaged or all bypassed at any time. This probably wouldn't be what you're looking for, and it would definitely make scenes in most factory presets not work as intended.
Thanks for the input. I'll take a look at this.

Back
Top Bottom