Quick and dirty Frippy 16 second loop

Any sound demo for us not yet AXF III users... 🤞

it would sound the same on the II as well!

if you want a preset, you'll have to make it yourself. it's really not that hard. get a cleanish amp and stick a fuzz face in front of it. some chorus and pitch shift to taste. set up two delay blocks in a parallel row, so they're set to 8 seconds each. use the send and return blocks to feed the output of delay 2 into the input of delay 1.
controlling it all is really the tricky bit.
you need control over the return level of the return block. this controls the feedback level of the delays
you'll need a volume block to control the level of the input into the first delay (this musn't interfere with the return signal)
you'll probably need a volume block after the second delay to control the level of the loop (this musn't interfere with the send level)

the layout will look like this

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-12 at 07.54.24.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-12 at 07.54.24.png
    105 KB · Views: 63
Blown away. That was fantastic Simeon. Thank you for sharing your work.

if you're blown away by this, you might like to check out some of my recordings, where i actually did some preparation and put some effort into it - https://simeonharris.bandcamp.com - it's all really old stuff, i'm afraid, but Beyond The Frozen Sea was all done with an Axe FX Ultra. i've really got to get my shit together and make another album...

Cliff already stated that digital delay types with no modulation will not degrade iirc.
I think what he said was with no diffusion/modulation they will degrade LESS. Cliff said that he has to turn off a couple more things before it will not degrade at all. I have personally found that they still degrade even with no modulation or diffusion.

I really like doing things like Simeon is doing, making a looping soundscape and playing on top of it. It is so much better when the soundscape background sounds good for as long as you want to play.

No, but it will be a lot longer. If you want infinite hold then I will have to completely disable modulation as well as a few other things when Hold is true.
I would really wish for an additional simple delay type that has no modulation or diffusion so that long or held delay holds remain pristine.

Simeon, I downloaded your patches during the first lockdown, and this is one of my favorite preset ever. Since April I use almost everyday, I changed something to my taste but I really want to thank you. 🙏

Oh that's a great preset and a beautifully ambiant demo if it. Woukd this ever be possible on a II XL?

Oh that's a great preset and a beautifully ambiant demo if it. Woukd this ever be possible on a II XL?

Sure. I have this kind of preset on my Axe fx II since five years or so. I think we discussed it back then also. It was one of the first presets I made when I got the Axe fx and that same preset is still there. Think Simeon helped me also back then.

But for these type of things I prefer a bit shorter delay time. It takes a bit too long for the loop too repeat so it is hard to anticipate in your playing what's coming. But still very useable.

You could also use the mono tape delay and set it to 8 seconds and set motor speed to half to get a 16 second delay I think. But I still wish for a 16 second digital delay so that you can combine two delays with different times.

Last edited:
you could use the looper instead. it goes from rec straight into overdub and you can control the feedback level and it doesn't degrade when looping

You mean the quantised looping I guess? When it goes in overdub automatically.

no, that's not what i mean. i mean you can go into overdub directly from the second record press, when you come out of record and define the loop length.
it's taken for granted that loopers do this nowadays, but it wasn't always the case. back in the good old days, you had to record an empty loop first and then overdub into it, so that you could record continuously over the loop boundary...otherwise you were stuck with having whatever sound was happening being cut off as the the loop went from record into play.
so now we have the ability to go into record, set the loop length and go directly into overdub while actually recording audio. makes for a seamless performance. if overdub is set to anything less than 100% you've basically got a tape style looper that you can set the length of in real time. amazing really, but that's newfangled technology for you.

no, that's not what i mean. i mean you can go into overdub directly from the second record press, when you come out of record and define the loop length.
it's taken for granted that loopers do this nowadays, but it wasn't always the case. back in the good old days, you had to record an empty loop first and then overdub into it, so that you could record continuously over the loop boundary...otherwise you were stuck with having whatever sound was happening being cut off as the the loop went from record into play.
so now we have the ability to go into record, set the loop length and go directly into overdub while actually recording audio. makes for a seamless performance. if overdub is set to anything less than 100% you've basically got a tape style looper that you can set the length of in real time. amazing really, but that's newfangled technology for you.

ok I understand. But if you do it with quantised looping you don't have to press a second time. Let's say you set the tempo to 60BPM and have quantise set to 1/4 and 16 beats then you have a 16 seconds delay. Set it to 30BPM and you have a 32 second delay etc. Only problem with this is that it doesn't go directly in overdub. But then you can make a silent loop and press dub when it has recorded on cycle just as you say in the old days.

Last edited:
Man I love this preset! I've done some minor tweaks to accommodate my setup and spent a couple hours enjoying it. It's the only preset so far that has shifted some loose items on my desktop to the point of falling off.

The cat....well she wasn't so happy. She leapt into the air on the first note and I haven't seen her since.

Thanks Simeon...AWESOME!

This sounds great!

I tried to import it into an FM3, but it got all wonky, with many blocks not connected to anything. Anyone know the right way to connect the blocks? I wanna try it!

This sounds great!

I tried to import it into an FM3, but it got all wonky, with many blocks not connected to anything. Anyone know the right way to connect the blocks? I wanna try it!

it won't work on the FM3, it's too big. look at the screenshot i attached to post #21 and you'll see how it's done

Back
Top Bottom