Quick advice needed. Lap Gruppen??

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
I have used an Art SLA-1 for a year now, and as I only go mono at present Ive been happy.

Recently though Ive started loking for a higher quality amp.

I have a chance at a Lap Gruppen iq1050. Its an installation amp really, but is 2U rack. Its a quad amp driving 4 x 8 Ohm channels at 120W.

It be bridged into 2 channels at 360W (8 Ohms).

Its on EBay, new boxed BUT - it has a start price of only £200. There retail at over £1500 here in the UK. Its been on a 10 day auction and has no takers with only 3 hours left. I know the price may go through the roof, but there are no pics and the seller has only 1 star - which is maybe putting people off. Im not worried as I pay with Paypal so would be protected.

Pros - 1. Probably a much hgher quality than the Art.
2. Potentially a hugh bargain

Neg - 2U (the art is 1U and my racks full - so Id need a seperate 1U rack probably).
Weight - its 13.9 KG against the Arts 6KG - and my rack seems heavey.

I do have a Stroborack in my rack which could go as the Axe has a tuner, but Im not sure how toplay this.

Is it worth a punt - and at what kind of price cut-off?

Many thanks

I'm not familiar with that model. I know the C Series, FP, FP+ and PLM series. Lab Gruppen amps are class leaders and used in some of the biggest touring sound systems in the world. Companies like L Acoustic, EAW, Fulcrum Audio, Adamson and others use LG amps to demo their speakers. L Acoustic used to sell private label versions of the FP series for use with their line array. They don't make an MI-grade product, and comparing them to ART is not unlike comparing the Axe-FX Ultra to a Quadraverb GT.

The model number was wrong - its an ip1150Q

Basically, from what I can tell on their site, the ip is the installation equivilant of the fp touring amps.

The metal casing doesnt seem as heavy duty as the FP series, but should be fine for my usage. If id doesnt get too pricey Ill give it a punt - though it wil put my new cab back a month.

Checked UK price list.

the "C" series amp (rated at 4 x 250W into 4 Ohms )reatails at £1349. The ip 1150q (rated at 4 x 200W at 4 Ohms) retails at £1549.

Ah well - someone gota bargin, but it wasnt me :(

with 50 seconds to go, it had a single bid at £200. I bid £250 - which was £280 inc postage. Couldnt go any higher due to Xmas commitments.

Amp went for £271. For those in the states that works out at around $400 for an amp retailing at around $2200.

dont think Ill find something as good as that for that price too soon.

Back
Top Bottom