Questions with Tonematching

Hi guys! Still loving the Axe Fx III!

Lately when I tone-match a recording, my tone always ends up sounding out of phase/washed out. I try to take measures to make sure that it doesn't happen such as making sure I am referencing isolated guitar, making sure I split the audio of that guitar into a mono track, I have even tried using a cab block pre and post the tonematch itself and without a cab block, using the same amp block as to what amp was used in the recording. My reference source is set to USB. I make sure I start the referencing/playing before the Axe starts listening so I don't have any empty space. Do I need to pan the recording hard left or right? I feel like I am missing something.

I appreciate any help with this question!
-Casey

bump +1

I can get tones that are close-ish to recorded ones but there always seems to be a bit of phased notchy-ness/peaky-ness. I wonder if the phasing is because of slight tuning variations and/or overtone/harmonic variations between the source and the live tone. Smoothing can help but then the match loses some of the tonal uniqueness of the source.

One thing that's important to get a good tone match: the reference audio needs to span a wide range of frequencies. Even when taking all the measures you are to ensure you get a good tone match, if all you have in the reference is a riff with a limited frequency range, you may not get a good match.

Back
Top Bottom