Questions re: setting up Morningstar MC6 MkII to control looper on AX8

dsw67

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Morningstar MC6 MkII but I’m having trouble setting it up to use as a looper control for my AX8.

Some of the questions I have are:

Do I still need to use one of the F switches on the AX8 to activate the looper before I can control it with the MC6? If no, how could I program the MC6 to activate the looper?

On page 60 of the AX8 manual, it says that the REC function is midi CC# 28. When using the editor to program the MC6, do I use ‘Program Change’ or ‘Control Change’, or does it even matter?

Right now I have the A button on the MC6 set up as in the following picture, but the AX8 is not responding. When I step on the button the midi in on the AX8 blinks, so I’m guessing the signal is being received.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 7.51.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 7.51.14 AM.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 8
Hi all,

I recently purchased a Morningstar MC6 MkII but I’m having trouble setting it up to use as a looper control for my AX8.

Some of the questions I have are:

Do I still need to use one of the F switches on the AX8 to activate the looper before I can control it with the MC6? If no, how could I program the MC6 to activate the looper?

On page 60 of the AX8 manual, it says that the REC function is midi CC# 28. When using the editor to program the MC6, do I use ‘Program Change’ or ‘Control Change’, or does it even matter?

Right now I have the A button on the MC6 set up as in the following picture, but the AX8 is not responding. When I step on the button the midi in on the AX8 blinks, so I’m guessing the signal is being received.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I'm not an AX-8 owner (I have an Axe Fx III and XL+) and I'm not an MC-6 owner, either... But, most of the Fractal stuff shares similar capability and midi is midi :)

The F switch question I can't really answer... On the Axe Fx, the Looper is a separate block. I leave it engaged all the time (in presets where I use it) because it doesn't effect anything.

If it can be activated by midi, there will be a CC# associated with it's bypass.

When the manual says CC, that is Control Change... That's what CC stands for (this is a general midi term).

If the manual says PC, that is Program Change (think "Preset" instead of "Program" and it'll make more sense).

Some midi basics:

PCs change presets
CCs control parameters

PCs send program (aka, preset) numbers
CCs send control change messages which consist of a CC number and a related data value.

CC numbers map (or are assigned) to the control(s) you want to change. The data value is applied to the item you are controlling.

For simple on/off type controls (often referred to as IAs, Instant Access) the data value can be 0-63 for OFF and 64-127 for ON, although common practice is 0 == OFF and 127 == ON.

For "continuous" controllers like expression pedals, they send a value from 0-127 based on the position. Great for controlling volume, wah, etc.

The reason your setup probably isn't working is that you are sending the OFF value (0) for that CC. Try using 127 instead.

Back
Top Bottom