Questions prior to purchase

Severed

Fractal Fanatic
Hey all, been doing my homework researching as I am wanting to pull the trigger but then I have some concerns/questions that I am hoping people can offer some insight on.

#1. looking at the history and older models, seems like the last version is 11 on those, so does that mean the Axe FX II is near the end of it's life cycle and the next model is coming soon as ver 10 is right around the corner?

#2. I want the MFC 101 controller to go with the Axe FX II, but I noticed it is out of stock, just curious if anyone knows how long until it's available and how limited my experience will be using a Behringer FCB1010 in the meantime?

#3. In addition to the MFC-101, it supports up to 4 expression pedals, so which ones are the recommended?

#4. How well will the Axe FX II work when going into the power amp insert of 2x 100watt Marshall Heads into 1960B 4x12 Cabs as opposed to a solid state PA? If I did go into a solid state PA, would I still use the amp/cab modeling?

I am really interested, and I know the unit sounds absolutely amazing for recordings, my major concern is how it will work for live, and the best set up so I can get my recorded studio sounds when playing live at stage volume.

Last edited:
#1. looking at the history and older models, seems like the last version is 11 on those, so does that mean the Axe FX II is near the end of it's life cycle and the next model is coming soon as ver 10 is right around the corner?

I very much doubt it..
one of the strong selling points [in my opinion] of the Axe-II was that it should have a long developmental life

#2 - I can't answer

#3. In addition to the MFC-101, it supports up to 4 expression pedals, so which ones are the recommended?

most folk tend to go for Mission, Boss or both
personally I like the Boss FV-500H for expression pedals and the Boss FS-6 switches

#4. How well will the Axe FX II work when going into the power amp insert of 2x 100watt Marshall Heads into 1960B 4x12 Cabs as opposed to a solid state PA? If I did go into a solid state PA, would I still use the amp/cab modeling?

there are many options here:
- run it into the FX return of your traditional amp
- 4-wire method
for these you'll turn off the cab sims

- run into a poweramp [valve or solid state]
an increasingly popular combination is Axe-II into Matrix GT1000FX [I use this too]
they seem to compliment each other well
from the power amp you have choice of cabs / monitors
-- traditional cabs [with the Axe-II cab sims off]: I use a pair or Marshall 1960b cabs
-- FRFR monitors [with the Axe-II cab sims on]
there are a variety of these that can sit in front of you like wedge monitors or behind like 1x12 cabs..
Matrix and Atomic seem to be the most common choices..
I personally only really know the Matrix stuff [CFR and Q12p] and have found it to be superb..
I know very little about Atomic beyond the majority of users being very happy with them..

another option coming to the fore are active FRFR monitors [so you don't need a separate poweramp]
again Matrix and Atomic seem to be the most popular choices
I've been told that the Atomic is very good but personally I have no experience with them..
I only have experience with the Matrix Q12a and I've found it to be an extremely good match for the Axe-II

for live work, the Axe-II will be superb...
your live requirements / situation should dictate the nature of your backline / monitoring situation..

in my case, I play abroad mostly and so I need to use the cabs provided in country..
which is why I opt for the Matrix GT1000FX poweramp and Marshall 1960b cabs [cos they are easy for the venue to procure]...
if however I were assured of having a pair of Matrix CFR's or Q12's [or better, a pair of pairs of them] then I'd be more than happy to use these..
in fact.. I'd be pretty delighted....
so I just can't lose..

most likely no. 11 just happened to be where they stopped for the previous models. the version numbers keep increasing as they add new features, and not an indication of EOL.

#2. I want the MFC 101 controller to go with the Axe FX II, but I noticed it is out of stock, just curious if anyone knows how long until it's available and how limited my experience will be using a Behringer FCB1010 in the meantime?

no idea on the stock situation. the mfc is obviously the most functional with the axe, but other midi controllers like the fcb can let you change presets, scenes, turn on/off effects and much more. you should be good with it for a while unless you like something specific about the mfc.

any expression pedal that uses a TRS 1/4" cable for connection is good. many here like mission pedals for their form factor, pedal sweep and various models and features, not to mention the badass colors!

the axe will work well with any speaker system. it just depends on what kind of sound you want to get out of that speaker system. if you use it with guitar amps and cabs, the axe will pretty much only sound like guitar amps and cabs. using it with a full-range system like a PA system will allow you to transcend "normal" guitar sounds and use the effects and other tone-shaping tools to create more of a live processed studio sound, rather than the raw guitar tone from an amp/cab.

i used to use a g-system with roadster and 2x12 cab and it was great, but since i got the axe and used it with PA style speakers, i've never looked back and always get comments on my tone.

using the PA is when you'd use the amp/cab modeling. using a real guitar amp, that's when you'd turn off the cab modeling, and possibly the amp models too depending on how you run it.

Regarding foot controllers, IMHO the main limitation with the Behringer is that I think you only get the preset number, not the preset name (if I recall correctly). "Scenes" which came out with 9.0 obviate much of the need for extra IA switches for me. I switched from Behringer to Liquid Foot pro which has 16 IA switches years ago. Now I am thinking about getting an LF Jr. which only has 4 switches. Plus if you have never used a MIDI program controller before, learning how to set it up is frustrating. That is probably much easier with MFC.

If you're using the FCB1010 it's definitely worth getting the Uno Chip mod and the editing software, you can have the bottom row as 5 presets and the upper row set as 5 FX on/off or scene changes, should cover most requirements

Awesome thanks for the responses !

should have the coin together in a couple weeks to pull the trigger, I hope they have the foot controllers in stock by then :)

Back
Top Bottom