Questions from New User

I'm about to purchase the AX8, and have been watching YouTube tutorials to try to get a jump on understanding the unit.

I would be using the AXEDIT software, and this would only be used in the studio.

I am hired to do many covers of songs, from rock to country to oldies to whatever.

So I need the usual suspects, a Vox/Matchless tone, a Marshall, a Fender, etc.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to set this up.

Would I make a VOX preset, and then do various scenes (DRY, with delay, with way, with....etc) then do the same for each AMP type (Marshall preset, etc). Or would that take too much processing power?

If I understand this right, if I have a scan that suddenly I decide needs chorus on it, I am out of luck and must go back to the preset and add the chorus, correct?

I would seldom if ever need to switch sounds in the middle of a track I was recording, unless suddenly a clean sound needed to go to a section that had a rotary or other effect on it...I would probably just do that section on another track in the DAW.

Anyway any suggestions I appreciated, I just need to have basic classic sounds easily and quickly recalled.

Thx
Tom

Yes. To start off simple, make Presets with your different major amp sounds. Scenes just turn on/off multiple effects (blocks) with one button press, so they are good for keeping the same basic tone, but adding combinations of effects as you play.

Just like a real pedal rig, if you don’t have a chorus pedal plugged in at the time, you’ll need to add one.

I would suggest going slowly and build what you need as you go. I see some new users trying to build every single sound they ever need as the first step and they never get to actually playing.

Also, depending on how many scenes you need across the 8 foot switches, you can always have effects such as chorus ready to add on another foot switch that is not scene related.

Assign Scenes example:

Scene 1 (FS 1) = Clean with reverb
Scene 2 (FS 2) = Crunch with OD boost and delay
Scene 3 (FS 3) = Lead with delay

Assign remaining foot switches to whatever you choose such as:

FS 4 = Chorus
FS 5 = Rotary
FS 6 = another Delay
FS 7 = Tremolo
FS 8 = Phaser

Minor detail, but Axe-Edit is for Axe-FX; you would use AX8-EDIT. That was the first couple hours of my learning curve. . . . . :anguished:

Rest assured, you are never "out of luck" with the AX8. There is a way to do pretty much everything you need. Some things might take some trial and error, manual reading, and forum searching. But it's all fun.

I have both the AX8 and a II. I use the AX8 to gig and the II for practice and very limited studio. The II is a little better with more processing power and effects but I can't really hear a difference in basic guitar tone or comparable effects. So for the money, the AX8 is very good. If money no object, II or III are better. As far as your question about processing power, you can set up as many presets as you want within the unit's limit (what is it, 128?). Only the active preset affects processing power and the limits on that have become less restrictive with the latest firmware. With my AX8, I set up four banks that use the main amp types I use live: Fender, Vox, Marshall, Mesa. There are 8 presets available in each bank. I usually have one clean, one crunch and then one or two lead presets usually with a different amp model. Each preset usually has a scene one and two (which is one of my stomp switches) and then I also have stomps for drive, delay, GEQ and Filter (latter two are small and larger boosts), plus specific by preset effects.

Back
Top Bottom