Questions for XiTone Users

OmegaZero

Inspired
I've tried several different products and setups to get my live rig squared away, but unfortunately I'm still looking for something that works for me. Recently I've been talking with Mick at XiTone - super awesome guy to talk to, by the way. I have a few questions I'm still unsettled on though - thought I would reach out to some of the folks here to get some opinions.

Tweeter Pad and FRFR Bypass options - I've seen these options mentioned a few times on the XiTone cabs. I'm wondering how many people have these options on their cabs, and how often they end up using them.

Active vs Passive - I know Mick does some awesome things with his custom DSP programming on the active XiTones. I already have a Matrix GT1000FX though, so I was thinking I might just use that with a 2x12 passive XiTone cab. Anyone have experiences or recommendations on this, maybe in relation to the cab options I mentioned above? I've read several threads about this topic - seems like a bit of a mixed bag in terms of opinions.

Tweeter Pad and FRFR Bypass options - I've seen these options mentioned a few times on the XiTone cabs. I'm wondering how many people have these options on their cabs, and how often they end up using them.
[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I understand this correctly but I have 10" open back cab from Mick. I also use mode 2 with the tweeter off. Sometimes I just switch to this mode when a preset sounds to bright or, also, when I experience ear fatigue after hours of playing in a small room. Makes a nice change and that guitar cab feeling is there...

A cool option might be to get the passive cab but have it built so you can use it in either closed or open back format.

I use some older passive wedges with the pad switch and phase reverse switch. I don't use either... And I want FRFR, so I'm not really interested in bypassing it.

I power them with a Matrix GT800FX and they sound great. Mic is a great guy with excellent customer service. A perfect match for Fractal.

Thanks all for the responses.

@Hhuent - I believe the active XiTone cabs typically have FRFR bypass (12" driver raw with no crossover or tweeter) set up as mode 3. With the passive cabs, there is an option to have this available via a physical switch. There is also an option to have a switch for a 3db pad on the tweeter. These sound like cool options to have, but I wasn't sure how much I might end up using them (to unix-guy's point). It also sounds like the FRFR bypass is a bit more complicated for a 2x12 passive cab. I was hoping to get a sense of how many people have & use these options. If it never gets used, maybe it's not worth the trouble...

Thanks for the info @unix-guy. I've come across several of your posts in my searches - always very informative.

I definitely know where you're coming from @79_limited. I generally prefer the sound of sealed cabs, so I am probably going to stick with that this time around.

I know there are lots of XiTone users here - is no one using the FRFR Bypass (mode 3 on active cabs, physical switch option on passive cabs)? For that matter, can anyone comment on what the Eminence Beta 12CX sounds like when using just the 12" driver with no crossover? I'm just curious if it's worth the trouble to have this option.

Sorry, but I'm running full FRFR to let the AX8 cab IRs do their job. I tried the "12 only" program but it just sounds muffled with my current presets. If you built the presets around the "12 only" setting, I'm sure you could get some usable tones but then it would be wrong for D.I. to the P/A. I'm sure the Beta 12 sounds decent without Mick's programing but far less neutral.

Sorry, but I'm running full FRFR to let the AX8 cab IRs do their job. I tried the "12 only" program but it just sounds muffled with my current presets. If you built the presets around the "12 only" setting, I'm sure you could get some usable tones but then it would be wrong for D.I. to the P/A. I'm sure the Beta 12 sounds decent without Mick's programing but far less neutral.
With Mick's open back cab, I found that if I disabled the tweeter....and shut off my Cab Sim....it sounded great.
Just food for thought.....

With Mick's open back cab, I found that if I disabled the tweeter....and shut off my Cab Sim....it sounded great.
Just food for thought.....
Our band does a wide variety of styles so I like having a lot of amp and cab tones at my toe-tips. Glad you've found a cab tone that works for you. Even with no tweeter, the XiTone probably gives you a pretty neutral pallet to paint from.

I have two of his older 1x12 active cabs with pad and phase switch. They are great. I use to have two of the passive 1x12 wedges I used with my Matrix GT1000 and Axe-Fx but once I got my AX8 and started gigging that instead I got the 1x12 active cabs and sold the passives but they sounded great as well.

Last edited:
With all of the Fractal updates over the years, wish I still had my Xitone cab. Cliff has so many more tweaks he has done that cater to the FRFR cab users and takes out any "boxy" tones when doing rock and metal tones. Back in the day that was my only struggle was trying to adjust for that. Now with Quantum and those tweaks, the Xitone is probably leaps and bounds beyond what it was. :) Always loved how solid it was built. I use a Friedman ASM-12 now but loved my Xitone when I had it.

I've actually never used mode 2 or mode 3 on my active XiTone. Once the presets are built for full FRFR, it sounds different on the other modes. And building presets on FRFR translates well to FOH.

Back
Top Bottom