Questions for those using Alto TS212

kirkosaurus

Just picked up the Alto Truesonic TS212 powered speaker yesterday. It sounds great but with stock and Yek presets it sounds quite "boomy". A lot of low end.
I've been playing through a MosValve power amp and 4x12 cab (with cab sims off) so playing through a FRFR speaker sounds quite different.

There is a "Contour" switch on the back that "emphasize low and high frequencies by +3 dB" when engaged. Even with this off it still sounds a bit boomy. Is this common with the TS212? Are you guys using it with or without the contour switch engaged?
Maybe I need to just adjust the low end in the AX8...

I have an TS210, but basically contour switch not engaged and yes...you need to tame the low end. Usually I use the Low cut switch on on Amp section and in the cab block citing it around 200 Hz or so. All of that usually when playing at bedroom low levels.

I have an TS210, but basically contour switch not engaged and yes...you need to tame the low end. Usually I use the Low cut switch on on Amp section and in the cab block citing it around 200 Hz or so. All of that usually when playing at bedroom low levels.

Thanks for the reply. My next step was maybe cutting the low in the cab block. Recently watched Danny's video on tuning the cab block. I'd still like to use the FX loop bypass to run to the MosValve and 4x12 cab so I'd like to not mess with the amp settings if I don't have to.

Greetings,

I've got the TS212s as well, but have nothing similar for comparison. I'm wondering if the best solution might be to try cutting some of the lower frequencies on the global EQ to taste--at least as a start.

Cheers,

Alan

Do you have it pointed at your head or standing on end? Is it maybe some of the focus is directed toward you at some orientation that's emphasizing the bass response? I found it more balanced than my EV's but I also stood it on end after reading some others had a better result doing so.

Do you have it pointed at your head or standing on end? Is it maybe some of the focus is directed toward you at some orientation that's emphasizing the bass response? I found it more balanced than my EV's but I also stood it on end after reading some others had a better result doing so.
My TS212s are way less boomy than the EVs I tried but I still have to cut a good bit of bass in the cab block. I have mine standing on end at almost head level.

I actually traded up from the Alto to the EV ZLX212 for this reason. The EV has built-in 2 band eq. I keep it at a flat setting and roll the bass off. I'm also toying with the idea of selling the EV and just getting a L6 Firehawk 1500 purely for it's power and speaker system to not have to worry about this crap anymore.

I have not used one, but seems like overkill unless you are playing Madison Square Garden. Do you need a 63 pound, 1500 watt amp? My Xitone has a 400 watt Matrix amp that I leave on 2 or 3 ...or I will go deaf.

Do you need a 63 pound, 1500 watt amp?

If you turn it up full blast, yes you are likely to go deaf. It is beneficial to setup your presets though so you can have a good indicator of what you will sound like going through a PA system.

We use a couple of Alto TS212 as monitors and they are fine with the countour on. We usually place them far enough so they aim at our heads, not our knees. No problems or excessive "boom".

Greetings,

I've had a pair of TS212s for a while and originally had them positioned on the floor in typical wedge-monitor fashion. Based on some earlier comments here, though, I decided to buy some inexpensive tripod stands and move both TS212s up on these accordingly. The sound is definitely quite a bit different with the TS212s up off the floor, but I'm noticing that the high end of my AX8 now a bit too bright overall. Tried going through a series of factory presets yesterday to see how they sounded and I'd say the overall frequency response seemed OK, but with a bit too much brightness.

Overall, though, I think having the TS212s up off the floor is an improvement, but am curious to know if anyone has advice regarding which positioning may be best for me to stick with. (I want to make a firm decision before creating and tweaking my own presets.)

Thanks a lot and take care,

Alan

Thanks Alan. I've been tweaking my presets with the speaker standing on end but will try some borrowed stands. I definitely plan on buying a second one for stereo effect. For the price it can't be beat and I can always use them as regular monitors if I go a different route.

Back
Top Bottom