Questions - different guitar inputs, delay controllers etc.

FarleyUK

Inspired
Hi all,

Finally had some time to play around with the new AFX3 (and FC12). I've got Austin Buddy's Live Gold pack, which has really helped me learn things, but I have a few separate questions, more to do with 'best practice':

1. I have three guitars - a Les Paul Standard with Slash pups, another Les Paul Custom with Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells and an SG with the stock humbuckers. I noticed yesterday that when using the SG, the input lights only just turned orange when I strummed hard (giggidy). The other two 'tickle the red' - but even if I turn the input up to 100%, the red isn't tickled. Is it worth using input 2 just for the SG and set the input higher, and use input 1 for the Les Pauls (with input around 50%)?

2. I'd like to use an expression pedal to control the delay; I know one of the guides in the manual (see, I DID read it!) mentions about setting controllers on the mix and feedback; is that generally suggested to link the two? Or would you normally have just the mix affected by an expression pedal?

3. As I'm in a couple of cover bands, I'd be looking to get the same kind of effects etc. you hear in the song (i.e. the drone in Wanted Dead or Alive, the solo effect in I Want to Break Free etc.). I'm assuming the best way to do this is just via experimentation? There isn't an online library or guide for particular songs?

4. Would people tend to prefer running reverb and delay in parallel, with the dry signal in the middle? I'm assuming that's a almost a pseudo wet dry wet rig?

I'm sure I'll have more to come...

Thanks all, and have a great Christmas!

the input you're talking about sets a Signal-to-Noise ratio. set it for your loudest guitar and leave it there. it doesn't affect actual signal going into the preset.

i'd start with just controlling the mix to see what it does for you. you can have the same pedal adjust 2 things at the same time, but it can be tricky balancing what you want, so start with just one for now.

not sure about a guide for recreating song effects.

some people prefer putting reverb and delay in parallel, but i don't hear any different sound when i do that vs series. so you'll have to try it and see what you prefer. if you put them in parallel, be sure to set the Mix to 100% so you aren't adding more dry signal.

Surely you would need 3 sets of gigging presets, one for each guitar. That's if you want everything perfect
FWIW, my approach has ended up going the exact opposite way - I have adjusted guitar output lower (via careful pickup selection) on my loud guitars, and use all with the same presets, and the result has been much more to my liking. I think the hottest pickup in any of my guitars is the DiMarzio P90-sized Super Distortion, which isn't really as hot as the name implies. The Lawrence L500C/L set in the Les Paul I sold earlier this year were louder. I guess I just prefer lower-output humbuckers and singles....

Back
Top Bottom