Questions about interface

Angus-Tiado

Hi folks. I want to start recording my ax8 and need some advice, cause im pretty ignorant at this matter. First of all, consider i live in Chile and there are no many options and this kind of things are more expensive that in USA.

Need an interface and studio monitors. I was thinking about a Focusrite Scarlet solo and Presonus eris 5 Or KRK Rokit 5 2g. I know this has been discused before, but my fears are mainly about the RCA connection to the monitors. Does it generate noise?

And overally speaking, is this a decent set up for making patches and playing at home?

Can i plug the ax8 directly into the monitors?
Do i need a DAW to get sound by plugging the interface to the pc and the ax8 to the interface?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you can plug the AX8 directly into your monitors. I have Eris 5 monitors, and I do exactly that with XLR cables sometimes.

You don't need a DAW to go AX8 --> Interface ->> Monitors. Most interfaces have the ability to monitor direct, and it looks like the Scarlet solo does too.

I'm not sure about the RCA connection generating noise, but why would you use that rather than XLR or 1/4" balanced?

Yes, you can plug the AX8 directly into your monitors. I have Eris 5 monitors, and I do exactly that with XLR cables sometimes.

You don't need a DAW to go AX8 --> Interface ->> Monitors. Most interfaces have the ability to monitor direct, and it looks like the Scarlet solo does too.

I'm not sure about the RCA connection generating noise, but why would you use that rather than XLR or 1/4" balanced?
Thanks for the reply!

The scarlet solo has RCA output only :(

Thanks for the reply!

The scarlet solo has RCA output only :(

My bad, I didn't notice that.

I'm using an old PreSonus Audiobox USB. It was a hassle to set the drivers up, but once I got it figured out it's worked well for me. I think the retail price is even a little less than the Scarlet Solo.

My bad, I didn't notice that.

I'm using an old PreSonus Audiobox USB. It was a hassle to set the drivers up, but once I got it figured out it's worked well for me. I think the retail price is even a little less than the Scarlet Solo.
Thanks! Got another question: is it worth connecting the ax8 in stereo? Cause the solo only has 1 input for instruments. That would be a point to look for another interface.

You should get a better audio interface to allow for stereo input. It might not matter too much going mono when recording as you're going to add effects in the DAW but it would be a pity not being able to experience the awesome FAS reverb. I wouldn't be concerned going through RCA jacks to the monitors as the cables are most likely going to be short and the signal they carry is low-impedance.

Thanks! Got another question: is it worth connecting the ax8 in stereo? Cause the solo only has 1 input for instruments. That would be a point to look for another interface.

get the Toneport UX1 that audio card has 2 line ins in the back and you go like this,UX1 line ins to AX8 inputs 1,install the pod farm and select line stereo and bingo,this is the way a use the AX8 in my mac to play and record audio,also i recommend these monitors JBL LSR305,Yamaha HS5 or the Presonus Eris5.

i got the Apogee One but i didnt line the sound with my AX8 because the One only have one input and i have to use Y cable,i prefer the sound with the UX1.

i do not recommend the Line 6 interfaces like the UX1. they require you to run their software always to use the interface - and this software does their modeling for guitar and vocals. it's redundant and, i feel, colors the tone.

better to get just a straight USB Audio interface by M-Audio or any other similar company. i'd also stay away from the Scarlett 2i2 specifically, because you can't monitor in Stereo. it has 2 inputs, but they are hard set to mono. i believe anything higher than the 2i2 allows stereo monitoring, but you will want to check.

i do not recommend the Line 6 interfaces like the UX1. they require you to run their software always to use the interface - and this software does their modeling for guitar and vocals. it's redundant and, i feel, colors the tone.

there is no need to run the software to use the UX1,just install drivers and that`s it,for me UX1 doesnt color the tone.

i can use the UX1 with any amp sims,and there is no need to install the ux1 sofware

but for using the AX8 i need to install the pod farm just to select the line stereo

for you in this video the UX1 color the tone?

Last edited:
I have a focusrite saffire pro24 that I loved until I upgraded to the new touch bar MacBook pro. I haven't found a way to get from FireWire to usbC without a chain of adapters that will cost way too much and likely not even work.

So if FireWire isn't a problem for you then the saffire line is good. But I'm personally looking to get a scarlett 6i6 I think. Just a matter of deciding how many inputs I need.

Back
Top Bottom