Questions about Delta Pro 12as and enclosures (input needed)

shag331

I have some questions about the Delta Pro 12a's, I have two of them sitting here, not in a cab, yet. Now, I do have an Avatar 2x12 Contemporary cabinet with a V30 and a Anniversary 30 watter, sounds pretty good but not enough bass response and it really colors my tone, I used this with my old tube rig before I got the axe 2 and matrix GT1000fx setup, still using it for now, I tried a couple K12's and preferred the "amp in the room feel" I guess so I took those back to the store.

I have a couple ways I could go about this, and would like advice on this:

I could

a) Get a ported 2x12 (Sesmic etc, something not too expensive, and I posted an ad on here looking or a higher quality empty used 2x12 ported cab in wanted section) and put them in there, im guessing that may be my best option.

b) Be patient, and order two TRM guitar cab Thiele enclosures for the two speakers, and wait out the 4 week build time, and spend a little more :miserable:

c) Remove the two other speakers from my Avatar 2x12 and stick the Delta's in that, im just not sure if they will do well in a sealed 2x12 environment. I do have the convertible back that leaves a small oval in the rear panel to remove if I want, that would make it pretty much a 3/4 back (maybe a little less). This would be the most economically wise route I feel but would it sound ok is my question....???

d) Buy a used bass 2x12 from Guitar Center, theres one real cheap I could get (around 150 bucks) that's just like a guitar 2x12 but has long square porting on the bottom, two of them, running the length of the cab basically about a 1/8th of the way up on the front.

Input REALLY appreciated, I am so tired of dumping money into my Axe rig, its getting frustrating but im very close to being happy finally.

By the way, I tried FRFR with some K12's and didn't like the "no amp in room" quality of it. it just left me feeling cheated for some reason.

THANKS! I really appreciate any feedback.:D

You could try to make a piece of plywood with two reflexports, app. 3" dia. and 4" long. Close together so that they fit in the oval hole on tha backside. It will tune the speakers to approx. 100 Hz.
But you have to line the interior with some kind of dampingmaterial - not on the inside of the front-plate. Otherwise you will get a nasty booming sound.

Would I have to line it if I just do a sealed cab? I mean as it sits now?. I may try your idea though, not much cost involved. And if it turns out bad I could always revert back to the original design. Ill make sure to actually get a different piece of wood and not mess up the avatar conversion board.

The sesmic cabs are dual front ported. May be easiest to just buy one of those as they are probably pre tuned etc. And for 125 bucks its not a huge risk. I doubt they are the greatest materials etc (I do believe they are fairly thin) but would save me having to fool with it and pay for insulation and ports etc.

If you go for a closed cab you wont get the "like 4x12" growl. 125 bucks aint much, so I would try this - instead of having quite some work with making your Avatar ported the DIY way. Dont worry about the wood thickness - the Matrix NL212 are made from rather thin board too.

Try the delta first I have them in sealed and ported cabs, the sealed cabs still have huge bottom end, these are very dark speakers .

Dark meaning not a good choice? Should I return one of them?(im stuck with one ) and pair with something else? If so suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom