Question(s) about the forum

C2@TJS

As I understand it, once you've started a thread, it remains in perpetuity. It can be retitled, but not deleted. Are all forums this way? I could be way out of bounds, but it seems like it would be a stellar feature of a forum if a single thread (just one) could be assigned to and controlled by each member. When I say controlled, I mean the ability to delete that thread and start over with a new topic or question. While I understand you could be deleting some good information, it would be the members choice to delete the thread whenever they wish. Sort of a scratchpad thread for each member.

Last edited:
Terrible.

Why should we appoint dictators and censors to control whatever every contributor has donated their thoughts and time in order to create and sustain?
What a waste and loss.

Last edited:
In addition to the already excellent point about the loss of information, what a mess it would be if we had tons of “scratch pads” which would result in impossible searching and the same questions being answered and then forgotten over and over and over

That happens over on TGP... there can be a great thread, tons of posts, and if one person didn’t like how it went, they delete it. Hundreds of people’s contributions, time they took to respond, all gone.

Horrible idea IMO

Obviously, these particular threads would be identified as such. So if you felt your coveted contribution to that thread would be somehow compromised, you simply wouldn't bother.
Here's an example. If I made a thread, and I posted "it is really hot and muggy in North Texas today, and I wonder how that might affect my FX III at my outdoor gig. Then someone posts a response of "No problem at all, as long as you let the unit vent, you should be fine."
Okay, so your saying that the "contributor" of that response would be offended by that thread being deleted? Rather it should simply remain forever adding to the clutter.

Last edited:
As I understand it, once you've started a thread, it remains in perpetuity. It can be retitled, but not deleted. Are all forums this way? I could be way out of bounds, but it seems like it would be a stellar feature of a forum if a single thread (just one) could be assigned to and controlled by each member. When I say controlled, I mean the ability to delete that thread and start over with a new topic or question. While I understand you could be deleting some good information, it would be the members choice to delete the thread whenever they wish. Sort of a scratchpad thread for each member.
Yes, this is the operating model of most forums. Some restrict the editing time and make them read-only beyond that. Some archive after x weeks, or yrs.
Allowing the OP to delete a thread at some future date has proven to be a disservice to a forum and all those who contributed.
The forum mods are expected to enforce rules and delete/block/ban inappropriate commentary by members.
You can delete your thread (on this forum) prior to response.

PS: there are many variations of the model in effect on different forums.

Yes, this is the operating model of most forums. Some restrict the editing time and make them read-only beyond that. Some archive after x weeks, or yrs.
Allowing the OP to delete a thread at some future date has proven to be a disservice to a forum and all those who contributed.
The forum mods are expected to enforce rules and delete/block/ban inappropriate commentary by members.
You can delete your thread (on this forum) prior to response.

PS: there are many variations of the model in effect on different forums.
Thanks for your response. I want to emphasize that the concept is that a section of the forum would contain one "scratchpad" thread per user (if utilized) that would allow it's contents to be erasable by said user. Doesn't seem outlandish to me, but alas, I am but a simpleton.

Last edited:
If you had your own forum where you asked random questions, and I knew you were going to delete the responses , then no, I would not respond to you.

When I make a public post, it is as much to the OP as it is to the rest of the forum community who reads the threads.

If I take the time to talk about experiences with heat and live stages, it’s information I hope others can read in the future by searching old threads, and adding to the collective knowledge base

If it’s only for the benefit of one person, then I’m unlikely to type much, if anything, even if they post everything with a strange blue colored font lol

Strange blue.... that's me. Okay, point taken. And now this thread can die, but it's corpse yet live on!.....lol

Last edited:
It’s a privately owned forum, intended for public use. If everyone could post and delete everything, someone could potentially say very nasty things, affect many people, then delete it permanently to cover it up - damage done though.

This isn’t “your” forum, but provided as a service for free to you. Someone else pays for this to exist. As mentioned, this is standard for most forums. Why have messages “self-destruct” if the intent is to share information in perpetuity?

Even with an email or private message, you can’t delete that it ever happened. It’s par for the course for most types of written communication.

As far as I know, the author of a thread can delete the 1st post, and it will delete the thread.

Mods can of course do it. But we try to take care to delete offensive, not allowed topics, or open flame wars, and leave relevant and valuable information for gen pop.

The comment that this is a private forum is listed explicitly in the agreement digitally accepted when one signs up for the board. Worth repeating. FAS has final authority, to which a limited capability is granted to Moderators.

As far as I know, the author of a thread can delete the 1st post, and it will delete the thread.

Mods can of course do it. But we try to take care to delete offensive, not allowed topics, or open flame wars, and leave relevant and valuable information for gen pop.

The comment that this is a private forum is listed explicitly in the agreement digitally accepted when one signs up for the board. Worth repeating. FAS has final authority, to which a limited capability is granted to Moderators.
Thanks.... I'll give that a try with this very thread. I'm certainly not conveying the idea correctly.

Last edited:
Strange blue.... that's me. Okay, point taken. And now this thread can die, but it's corpse yet live on!.....lol
Well I've noticed that if a regular posting member actually dies (sadly there have been a few in the years I've been here) then their account and all their posts are removed out of respect.

I'm not suggesting anything as a solution to your request by saying that I hasten to add! :)

No way to delete the first post that I can see FYI.

You did. It is simply a bad idea that wasn’t fully formed when offered.

It is okay and beneficial to put bad ideas into the public sphere. Nothing embarrassing about that.

Well I've noticed that if a regular posting member actually dies (sadly there have been a few in the years I've been here) then their account and all their posts are removed out of respect.

I'm not suggesting anything as a solution to your request by saying that I hasten to add! :)
Lol ....I was only kicking around an idea. No request at all. It's easy to see the general consensus, so there we go.

Last edited:
No way to delete the first post that I can see FYI.
I think once there's been at least one reply from another member then the only people that can strike the whole thread are the admins/mods.

We'll just have to keep posting to this one and make it the longest and most pointless thread ever now

I think once there's been at least one reply from another member then the only people that can strike the whole thread are the admins/mods.

We'll just have to keep posting to this one and make it the longest and most pointless thread ever now
Like mulligans - you only get one!

I could definitely keep it going with bad ideas. And all with a strange blue colored font too (if I can remember to do it).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom