Question regarding FRONT-OF-HOUSE + GUITAR SPEAKER BACKLINE

MrBollie

On page 33 of the manual, there's a way described on how to use the FM3 with an FRFR signal to FOH and a "monitor signal" to a solid state power amp with a traditional guitar cab. What is left out in this section - and that is confusing me, thus the reason for this post - is how to set the output mode of the amp block.

If you look at page 30 (NEUTRAL (FRFR) POWER AMP & SPEAKERS), you'll notice it is recommended to set the output mode of the amp block to "SS PWR AMP + CAB" if I want to use a traditional guitar cab through a power amp, to disable certain parts of the speaker interaction simulation. With the "FRONT-OF-HOUSE + GUITAR SPEAKER BACKLINE" setup however, setting it to FRFR probably delivers FOH the desired signal, while my guitar cab receives a signal with the simulation of speaker interaction..... Setting it to SS PWR AMP + CAB, I will get a proper signal on my monitor guitar cab, however, FRFR will lack said simulation.

So is this setup "FRONT-OF-HOUSE + GUITAR SPEAKER BACKLINE" actually a setup that always forces me to make a compromise?

I would set the output mode to FRFR as it is more important, at least to me, that the audience has the best sound. The difference between the 2 modes is pretty small when you are listening through a power amp and cab.

Yeah you have to pick one or the other if you’re using one amp. Personally I can’t hear a difference :)

A little bit background info. I have 10 years experience with AXE-FX II but I never got FRFR working the way I wanted. I just gave up and connected AXE-FX II => Matrix GT1000FX => Zilla 212 Cabinet which was micked to FOH.

Just two weeks ago I finally got a brand new FM9 (Turbo). I took it with to my second band rehearsals, connected to PA, selected untouched SLO100 preset and WOW!!!

Now I want both SS Pwr Amp + Cab and FRFR in one preset. I started to build my own preset based on the stock preset for this particular setup. Pretty good already but something is missing - FRFR (quite big Yamaha PA) does not replicate compression and distorsion as they are set to be heard from the real cab.

Do I need to use two Amp blocks in parallel, Amp1 Output = FRFR and Amp2 Output = SS Pwr Amp + Cab?

No need for two amps. Just split off two outputs. One before cab one after. There’s a preset that’s a template for this. It’s also shown in the manual.

No need for two amps. Just split off two outputs. One before cab one after. There’s a preset that’s a template for this. It’s also shown in the manual.
I quess you recommend to leave the Amp block’s Output mode to ”FRFR”? If you change it to ”SS PWR AMP + CAB” which is correct with my Matrix power amp, FOH sound changes.

I quess you recommend to leave the Amp block’s Output mode to ”FRFR”? If you change it to ”SS PWR AMP + CAB” which is correct with my Matrix power amp, FOH sound changes.
I personally don’t hear a difference.

There is not really a huge difference - I have a similar setup (FOH and guitar cab).
I set all amps to SS Power Amp and everything sounds good.

Back
Top Bottom