Question regarding CPU usage and Cab block

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
Ive recently purchased Austin buddy's cab pack and have been using his presets as a template to create a master template for myself. Some of the presets he created utilizes all 4 cabs in a channel. This seems to eat up a lot of CPU space and I'm running low on CPU space with some of these presets.

1. If I combined all the cabs he uses into one single IR would that give me the same sound? And, would that allow me to save CPU space since I'm only taking up one IR slot?

If so, is there any way to combine IR's without having to purchase CabLab? I don't really want to drop the money on cab lab just to mix down a couple Ir's. I don't typically play around with IR mixing/recipes so it would be an unnecessary expense for me.

If so, is there any way to combine IR's without having to purchase CabLab? I don't really want to drop the money on cab lab just to mix down a couple Ir's. I don't typically play around with IR mixing/recipes so it would be an unnecessary expense for me.

No, there's no way to combine fractal IRs outside of Cab-Lab (or the cab block). Also, keep in mind there's no way to access the factory IRs directly from either of the 2 Factory banks or the Legacy bank and then mix them in Cab-Lab, so, since austinbuddy's presets use factory cabs, it may be even more of a non-starter for you.

(That being said, many of the factory IRs in the III were chosen from existing Cab Packs that have been available for sale, so if you already own, or you went and bought, the various Cab Packs that the factory IRs in the presets were sourced from, you could combine them from the Cab Pack's folders of .ir files)

1. If I combined all the cabs he uses into one single IR would that give me the same sound?

Yes, mixing IRs in Cab-Lab into a single IR should produce the same results, provided:

1. you level the individual mics the same in the mixes as they are in the cab block
2. no options that are available in the Cab block, but not Cab-Lab, were used (e.g. pan, mic distance, etc)

And, would that allow me to save CPU space since I'm only taking up one IR slot?

Yes, being able to mute 3 of the 4 IR slots will for sure save CPU. In presets with two amps, if you can remove the second cab block (in some, but certainly not all, of the presets the two cab blocks are exact copies of one another) you'll save even more CPU.

Last edited:
My III is supposed to arrive today, so I have not tried this:
Record something with your 4 IR loaded preset. Do a tone match of your recording. Export to a single cab.

Actually, I believe you can use ToneMatch to do it... People did this type of thing on the Axe Fx II.
Sure, but ToneMatching IRs (especially ones in the factory banks) seems like a bit of an end run around fractal's IP to me... I don't know that any EULA expressly forbids it, but I'd personally say, air on the side of "while it's technically possible, for all intents and purposes, maybe don't do that?" just to keep everyone's karma safe ;)

Sure, but ToneMatching IRs (especially ones in the factory banks) seems like a bit of an end run around fractal's IP to me... I don't know that any EULA expressly forbids it, but I'd personally say, air on the side of "while it's technically possible, for all intents and purposes, maybe don't do that?" just to keep everyone's karma safe ;)
I would think as long as you do not create an IR out of it & then share it, it should be ok? I’m not sure if a Tone Match can be used across other platforms or if a III TM is compatible with the II, if it isn’t then everyone who could possibly use it has it. Well, actually I take that back, it could be considered intellectual property of Austin Buddy, so you’d have to get his blessing before you could share it, that’s be the right thing to do. But other than that, if you’re just using it for your own personal use, & never intend to share the preset with the TM in it, I can’t think of a reason why it’d be an issue?

Will there be any loss of quality by going the route of tone matching and creating an IR?

And another question, since the tone match is also based on the amp settings, if i start tweaking the amp block after the IR is created, will this yield a different result/tone than if i were using the original IR’s?

When you tone match you get an EQ as a result.
That's the most important part but it's different from the usual IR.

You need to capture an IR to get EQ, impact and phase. It's possible to get a perfect match but takes some time to find the right settings.

Don't take an IR of your whole patch, only the cab block and if you like to some EQs in the chain, so you get a mixed (and EQ'd) IR.

Back
Top Bottom