Question Regarding Cable Length & Buffers

Warrior

Power User
I previously saw no need for any external pedals but recently developed GAS for a Germanium Fuzz pedal to put first in my signal chain before hitting the Axe-FX III input. I just ordered and Analogman Sunface and I was wondering if I'll need a buffer after the pedal?

My cable from guitar to Sunface is 15' then I have a 21' cable from Sunface to Axe-FX III.
Cables are BTPA's CA-0446
20 AWG High Conductivity Oxygen Free Copper Single Conductor 95% Braided Shield, 100% PVC Shield Audio Cable 0.280" O.D.

Also, I won't be going directly to/from the Sunface. Actually connecting guitar to Temple Audio 4-Way Jack Patch>Sunface>Jack Patch>Axe-FX III.
This adds about 2' of the CA-0446 cable to the chain.

This allows me to connect at the side of my Temple Audio board.

You'll be running a little under 40' of cable, which may have some treble loss, and a buffer might help with the 21-23' feet of cable post buffer, so if you really absolutely have to have your current settings as preserved as possible, a buffer would help a little to preserve the signal.

But that said, if you're always going to be running that cable length, you can pretty easily just adjust settings in your amp/EQ/where ever you want to adjust them inside the AF3 to make up for the loss. I know it's not quite the same as preserving the original signal, but there are a lot of ways to adjust EQ for the capacitance of a cable. Heck, some people even like that little bit of signal loss- ever hear of someone complaining that their new wireless unit sounds brighter than they are used to? Often, their ears were used to hearing some signal loss due to their cables before they went wireless.

If it were me, I wouldn't get one until I had plugged in the new fuzz, played around with it, adjusted EQ accordingly in the AF3, and if it doesn't sound right after all that, then throw on another pedal that has a buffered output (tons of them do). A buffer certainly wouldn't hurt anything, but you might not find it necessary if you only want to run the fuzz and nothing else.

You can also play around with the Input Impedance parameter in the Input 1 block. Apparently there are some cool frequency response things that it does with fuzz pedals. Good choice with the Sunface.

Does your Temple Audio unit already have a built in buffer? I know, for instance, that my GCX switcher did.

Thanks for the advice, Adman103.

Does your Temple Audio unit already have a built in buffer? I know, for instance, that my GCX switcher did.

No, I didn't get that module because I didn't want the buffer before the Fuzz pedal and I want to plug in on the side of the board. I got just the 4-way jack with no buffer.

Back
Top Bottom