Question ragarding CPU and idle

Se7en

Inspired
Hi,

I usually have my Axe powered on during all day, using it for playing (of course)/reamping and sometimes just like an audio interface.

Let's say I have 2 presets, one with a 90% CPU average and another on 10% (taken from utility/status)
Do the Axe behave like a regular pc/server, when not in use should I change preset to less CPU activity to prevent energy/heat consumption?

Hi,

I usually have my Axe powered on during all day, using it for playing (of course)/reamping and sometimes just like an audio interface.

Let's say I have 2 presets, one with a 90% CPU average and another on 10% (taken from utility/status)
Do the Axe behave like a regular pc/server, when not in use should I change preset to less CPU activity to prevent energy/heat consumption?
As the axe is doing signal processing in realtime, it will always be "working", even if there is no signal coming in. It's not like a computer in that regard.

So in order to save energy, it might be useful to switch to an empty preset to reduce the CPU load. However, I doubt it will make any real difference...
But a sure-fire way to save energy is actually powering it down when its not used. ;)

My concern was mostly regarding heat.
On a PC with a constant CPU load around 90% would cause the CPU go warm and the fans spin at max.

Maybe this isn't relevant with the Axe

My concern was mostly regarding heat.
On a PC with a constant CPU load around 90% would cause the CPU go warm and the fans spin at max.

Maybe this isn't relevant with the Axe
I don't think the fan speed of the Axe is dynamicly adjusted. I'm also pretty sure that there is no CPU power scaling, simply because we are not talking about 35/50nanometer manufacturing processes here which are used in the graphics cards industry. It simply wouldn't make sense, as there is no need to miniaturize anything to infinity when there's a 19" hull ...

Also, the two CPUs on the board are 512MHz chipsets. Nothing special. I don't expect them to create a lot of heat even on max load.
Let's face it: the hardware used for sound processing nowadays is from yesterday.

I also remembered reading somewhere that the AXE consumes less than 40watts on max load. This is less than a light bulb.

Yes, the harder the DSP is taxed the more energy consumed and heat consumed. Does it really matter so long as the DSP temperature is within operating specs, no. I wouldn't worry about it. As has been said, the fan is not dynamic it operates at a constant speed.

Back
Top Bottom