Question on SYSEX via MIDI pedal

jimfist

Fractal Fanatic
I'm aware that pedals like the MFC101 have some ability to program custom system exclusive MIDI commands and assign it to a pedal, IIRC. Could anyone out there help educate me on what it would take to create a MIDI control pedal board that allowed you to, for example, figure out the sysex string for an Amp block and its associated amp type, and store it to a MIDI switch so that it could be recalled? Doing this would allow for amp block TYPE switching without using X/Y or changing presets (or for AxeFxII, having to ping pong between amp 1 and amp 2 blocks with special routing). And with luck, this switching would be faster than X/Y switching or preset changing.

How fast is the amp TYPE switching when manually switching types using the hardware's onboard "big knob"?

I know that the RAC12 uses MIDI sysex to allow external knob/button control over parameters in the AxeFx that are not exposed to standard modifier control - such as Bass/Mid/Treble/etc. And I've also used Bome's MIDI Translator software, that allows you to "read" the sysex data coming in from a MIDI device, and then do things to it. But using Bome's ties you to a computer.

When using a "wild card" modifier to control multiple parameters (but just the ones that are openly exposed to modifier control), I've found the changes to happen almost instantaneously. This idea is much the same, but would allow for the "hidden" sysex of parameters to also be controlled.

Ideally, I'd like to see a MIDI pedal that could store a dozen or so custom sysex commands for the purpose of a pseudo "scene control" that goes to the next level, allowing any and all parameters to be changed via stored sysex strings, at the press of a MIDI pedal switch. You follow? Who can enlighten me? Or am I out of my mind? LOL!

This probably won't help, but it's a good reference: http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=MIDI_SysEx

From my cursory review, I see no details about selecting an amp type directly.

You may be able to snoop the MIDI traffic between Axe Edit and the Axe FX II via Midi Monitor or Bome's or equivalent (eg. when selecting an amp), take some notes on the data and then see if you can replicate that communication outside of Axe Edit.

I'll look into this myself tomorrow unless someone beats me to it, or offers a proper answer.

SysEx or front panel switching of amp type seems to have the same gap as X/Y.

SysEx from AE can be monitored and will work the same when sent from another device/program. This is most easily done with a virtual MIDI port and something like SendSX. Alternate solutions exist, using a separate interface or (probably, haven't tried this, turn USB Adapter mode on and MIDI thru off) even just looping the Axe MIDI Out to In.

If you can find a Lake Butler Midi Mitigator, midi foot controller. It can send sysex up to 255 bytes per foot switch, till you run out of internal memory.
In the old days before midi CC's, I used to have to do this with mine.

Back
Top Bottom