Question on Instrument inputs

Tplesko

Inspired
RESOLVED - wish I knew how to delete a post....

Hi I ordered a new Shure wireless guitar unit and am noticing major tone and level differences between direct cable and using the wireless unit. I have the unit mounted and going into the Instrument In on the back of the Fractal and when I a/b it with a cable in the front, there is a noticeable (major) difference even with the gain on the Shure unit set to max. Tone and volume is much lower - even the gain on the guitar distortion feels different when I am using the Shure wireless.

My question is - are the 2 instrument inputs on the front and back identical? I think the answer is yes, which leads me to believe something is up with my new Shure.

If there is a configuration for the back Instrument input please let me know, but I think they are exact so my issue is with the Shure wireless unit. I invested into a good unit GLXD4R so I dont know why it would be so different.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
I have a GLXD4R and do not have this issue. Are you 100% sure you have the gain on the GLXD set properly?

From the Shure manual:
  • To replicate the output level of a guitar, unity gain is -18 dB for the 1⁄4" output
I'd also try plugging the unit directly into the front instead to rule things out. Mine sounds identical front and back, wired/un-wired.

Thanks man I figured it out - had to take it out of the rack and play around with line/mic setting and the gain. You're right, I am in negative gain territory and I have it now exact the same as a cabled connection - tickling the red, no clip and all sounds well. Thanks for your reply, I am going to delete my post as I got it.

Many thanks man!

Also, that's not a bad things, since this post can potentially help somebody out in the future who runs into the same problem :)

Back
Top Bottom