Question on crackling in guitar track in DAW, using Axe as USB interface

ToneLabRat

Experienced
Guys - sorry - I researched this for a while in the forum and wiki and can't seem to find the answer.

I am using the Axe FX 2 XL as my USB interface. I am getting crackling in the guitar tracks only, no other tracks. I believe this means I am getting clipping in the recording process right? I turn the level down in the amp block and I still get it - even when my input levels into my DAW are pretty low and no where near clipping and my main fader in my DAW isn't clipping. Also, I watched the front panel for the out clipping light when I tracked and I didn't get any clipping when I turned the amp block down. This only happens with some patches and not others. In particular, it is happening with stock patch 44 the JVM2. I guess I'm an advanced intermediate at the DAW so I have been conditioned to get the input levels on tracks in the DAW high but not to clip. This is happening even at low input levels.

Also - I'm trying to understand the distinction between clipping going IN, when I am tracking guitars, and, clipping coming OUT as the Axe USB sends the signal to my monitors for the entire mix. When I use my NI Komplete 6 Interface (with my Kemper lol!) I am fine when I am tracking/mixing if I have minor clipping in the master fader before I gain stage and put limiters on etc in the process. SO - could I not be clipping going in tracking but be getting clipping from the entire mix coming out and that is creating crackling/clipping on my track going in?!?

I'm so confused!!! Help!

Check your CPU use... Crackling is usually associated with CPU use when you start getting into the 90%+ range. Using USB will increase CPU use.

Guys the cpu is high but I just bought the axe brand new it's an XL and I am just playing a stock patch. How do I reduce the cpu usage given that?

Ok, the patch alone is around 74 or so, then hooking up USB with Axe Edit and then DAW gets it to about 80. Still getting the scratching on the tracks. Let me know if anyone has ideas. Thanks a lot.

I have buffer at 2048, CPU doesn't go above 80%. I tracked some more earlier and got a few tracks that had the crackling and then I got some that didn't. Weird. I am going to investigate Guitvai's suggestion on distance from my laptop tomorrow. I sit right at it when I track. I'll report back on that. Thanks again for all the suggestions, you guys are awesome.

Back
Top Bottom