Question: Muffled noise

sk8te4free7

Inspired
I just recently got my axe fx and while i'm playing any factory preset. The amp itself sounds too bassy and somewhat muffled. Could this be because of cable issues? Anyone know?

Thanks in advance.

yes i am actually, its an american audio VLP1500 (one of my friends let me borrow it) but would it matter what kind of power amp i'm using?

I just recently got my axe fx and while i'm playing any factory preset. The amp itself sounds too bassy and somewhat muffled. Could this be because of cable issues? Anyone know?

Thanks in advance.

If you are running into a guitar cab, you should set the cab emulation to off in the global menu.

If you are running into a guitar cab, you should set the cab emulation to off in the global menu.

To explain why, guitar cabinets are not high fidelity and lose some information, particularly (I think) on the high end. By using cabinet emulation and then running through an actual guitar cab, you are effectively doing it twice, so bassy and muffled is exactly what one would expect it to sound like. This is why most people using a high-end modeler run through some kind of FRFR (full range, flat response) power amp and speaker setup.

I have not found turning cab sims off to be beneficial when running into a guitar cab. Turning cab sims off = instant grizzle, fizz, shrillness that that may cause fillings to go loose. Don't do it, or if you do and have a good recipe please share it! I have been trying to put together a recipe that will work but it is slow going and the results are less than stellar.

I am using the stock 031 Wrecker patch for this next recipe. You will need to put the EQ after the cab sim.
Low cut 80 in the amp parameters, PEQ after cab sim(again low cut at around 80hz- then a bump with broad Q at around 500hz- then another bump for presence at around 3khz- then hi cut at around 6khz). It is still a work in progress.

I have not found turning cab sims off to be beneficial when running into a guitar cab. Turning cab sims off = instant grizzle, fizz, shrillness that that may cause fillings to go loose. Don't do it, or if you do and have a good recipe please share it! I have been trying to put together a recipe that will work but it is slow going and the results are less than stellar.

That's strange. I found the exact opposite. My rig sounds very dark, murky & boomy with the cab sims on & great with them off. I do keep the power amp sims on. Axe Fx II into a Mesa 2:90 power amp into 4 single 12 speaker cabs, 2 open back, 2 closed back each with the Mesa 90 watt speakers. The same results at home when I run it through the effect return on my H & K Zentera combo amp.

I found it, didnt do much of a difference :( just lowered the volume on the input itself

You can also raise the volume from there too. I use to to get nice, loud crystal clean sounds out of the AC15 & AC30 models or more gain & drive out of the Plexi & other med gain amps. I'm not sure it will help your issue but that's where it is located. Have you taken some low end out of the global EQ?

You can also raise the volume from there too. I use to to get nice, loud crystal clean sounds out of the AC15 & AC30 models or more gain & drive out of the Plexi & other med gain amps. I'm not sure it will help your issue but that's where it is located. Have you taken some low end out of the global EQ?

I'll give it another shot and see if it changes anything, I've tried doing that as well, it did help when I was creating my own patch but it was still bassy and muffled when I was using the facotry presets so i'm not quite sure what could be the issue at this point.

Thanks, Found it but it still kinda sounds muffled and bassy

If you did this and didn't hear a dramatic difference then I would suspect you have some thing going on either in the way things are hooked up or in your set up.

What is your physical setup like? How are things wired. what type of cables are you using where.
What firmware are you on.
What does it sound like through the headphone outs.

Back
Top Bottom