Question for those that sit at a desk with a daw, etc= Pretty regular!

Stratman68

Axe-Master
So, do you folks use chairs (be they drafting or regular) with wheels?
I am constantly fighting with the guitar cord and the wheels..............Curious!
I'm thinking I should lose the wheels....................................
What say ye?

My chairs have wheels. I use a shorter guitar cord with the slack taken up when sat at a desk. Not enough play to get caught on much of anything.

I use an piano stool. No wheels, four steady legs
Easy to turn around on - no armrests in the way for the guitar and the cable is always safe.

OK. I see. I will go with the slack taken up on the cable-Why didn't I think of that! :oops:

BTW, Dave O. If I could afford that chai I would probably buy it......Looks great, but...........................!

OK. I see. I will go with the slack taken up on the cable-Why didn't I think of that! :oops:

BTW, Dave O. If I could afford that chai I would probably buy it......Looks great, but...........................!
I got lucky got mine when a office downsized, been siting on it for the past 15 years and still as comfortable as it was the first day I sat in it, that's why they are so pricy...

If I record into my DAW I do it the way God intended for rock guitarists to play, standing on my feet. Y'all struggling cause you're doing what is unnatural. ;)

Seriously though, I just hate sitting down and play the guitar in a serious way. Mindlessly noodling is one thing, but for real I gotta stand on my feet and kick that chair out of the way.

So, do you folks use chairs (be they drafting or regular) with wheels?
I am constantly fighting with the guitar cord and the wheels..............Curious!
I'm thinking I should lose the wheels....................................
What say ye?
I lost the wheels to and went with a nice, modern chair with dark wood legs, a backrest and no armrest. I also added a gel cushion for my toushie. Much happier without the wheels. I thought it would be a pain having to get up and move the chair when leaving the desk but it's not. Much more comfortable.

If I record into my DAW I do it the way God intended for rock guitarists to play, standing on my feet. Y'all struggling cause you're doing what is unnatural. ;)

Seriously though, I just hate sitting down and play the guitar in a serious way. Mindlessly noodling is one thing, but for real I gotta stand on my feet and kick that chair out of the way.
If God didn’t want us to sit and play he wouldn’t have given us laps. :)

I agree, but I NEVER record sitting down. I sing also and cannot sing seriuosly sitting down, let alone play my guitars the way I want. I always stand.
I am only referring to working in the daw, setting things up etc. when it's time to record I stand.

Chair with wheels. I also took a sawzall and cut off one of the arms of the chair. After so many years of dealing with the cable getting wrapped around the base of the chair, it’s become a habit to keep checking it and pull it away from it. The biggest one is getting up out of the chair and rest the guitar on the chair, because when you go to move past the chair, it almost always ends up spinning with you and wrapping that damn cable around the base.

My goal of 2020 was to get all my gear hooked up and situated in a place where I wouldn’t have to move anything or plug something in if I wanted to use it, so at this point, my chair only moves a few inches back and forth at most. When mixing, I also slide it back about a foot until I’m in the middle of the room because that one spot seems to accentuate all the bass in the room and I can tell if it’s too much or just right from that one spot. That spot is my secret weapon hahaha

And standing while tracking is a no-go for me. I do it when I record specific vocals, but because I mix as I record, sometimes I’m tweaking stuff between takes and I’d end up hunched over my desk for hours at a time instead of sitting comfortably. The only time I get in the studio lately is when I have the chance to do a marathon session and those are generally 8-10 hours, after a full day at work of running up and down stairs and climbing roofs, I’m all set with that!

I mostly use a chair with wheels... yes I do run over cords... got a guitar cable and headphone cable to battle with since covid. I have a drum throne but every time(which isn't often) I use it I wish it had wheels so I could move and reach something then roll away. sometimes I think wireless would be nice but I'm sure it would introduce other issues to deal with... 😂

A quality ergonomic chair and short curly cables like CodePoet mentioned. I keep my guitar rig behind and to my right fed with one curly cable that stays out of my chair wheels' way and I keep my headphones on my left, also with a short curly cable. The two never get tangled and they're easy to throw off should the bell ring.

A quality ergonomic chair and short curly cables like CodePoet mentioned. I keep my guitar rig behind and to my right fed with one curly cable that stays out of my chair wheels' way and I keep my headphones on my left, also with a short curly cable. The two never get tangled and they're easy to throw off should the bell ring.
And I would like to find a good source of short curly cables if anyone knows of one...

That's why I don't use a cable anymore. I would alway run over it or get tangled in it or yank on it accidentally. Even though my guitar is only a couple of feet from my AxeFX, I use wireless.

Back
Top Bottom