Question for the v11 beta testers

Dutch -

You may want to check on the colloquial meaning of 'Physic', at least here in the US...

Some folks in our older generation used to refer to an enema as a 'physic' ... ;)

Going to OP question (I'm late to the party here)....

1) no this FW update won't mess up your presets or alter them significantly (unless you are still on FW 9 or 7 or something). Minor tweaks in a few places. I am really finding myself more and more leaving the amp at default and just tweaking presence, drive, master volume, maybe bright switch and moving the treble/mid/bass knobs by no more than "1" from default 5 except for a few amps that love otherwise.

2) everything sounds and feels right/better (no steps backwards here or recreating presets from scratch). There is no way in blind test of mic'd cab vs. AXE II that 99% of people could tell the difference, the Marshall-style amps for example are just frickin' outrageous and I love the new jumpered amp models.

3) cab IRs are becoming where it's at to get the last 10%+ of nailing the tone. Had a tone I was chasing, my old Bogner Ecstasy 101b into a Bogner 1 x12 dual port Shiva-type cab. I shot IR's last weekend for it (and my Bludotone cabs too) and *BOOM* there it was for the Bogner Amp model and the BludoOjai. Lots of flavors too for bright, balanced, or dark (bass) from multiple mic shots for IR. Do not neglect the cabs, period; try lots to get the sound you want -- it will "click" and you'll hear it.

If you don't think the AXE II sounds like your own real amp of same thing, then truly learn how to shoot Cab IRs' of the speaker cab you love/use; it it still incredible to me that the AXE II has this power. I'm going to shoot some more cabs with a Fathead (R121 style mic) and SM57 over the weekend.

Honestly, if it never got any better than the current FW and Cabs, I'd still be thrilled and have enough to play with to last me years. I mean, we all now own 128+ modeled amps, that never blow up or need new tubes, right? ;)

I'm noticing most of my presets are way louder with 11b. The other day i had an amp that had to be turned down to -20db to avoid clipping with everything else in the chain at 0db.

I think everyone using superlatives mostly is just offering an opinion. I think the sport of calling people out for doing it is just that; and they are assuming such adjectives are meant in a literal sense and they really aren't. If you dig it, there's no shame in digging it. The way to start a battle on the web is to use the world 'best' or 'versus', everyone gets personal about it when there is no need.

I think the biggest issue is people assuming 'objective' fact, when instead it is really 'subjective' opinion being offered. Never will the two meet. ;) :D

The world would be a better place if every forum poster would take this course: https://www.coursera.org/course/thinkagain

LOL

Going to OP question (I'm late to the party here)....

3) cab IRs are becoming where it's at to get the last 10%+ of nailing the tone. Had a tone I was chasing, my old Bogner Ecstasy 101b into a Bogner 1 x12 dual port Shiva-type cab. I shot IR's last weekend for it (and my Bludotone cabs too) and *BOOM* there it was for the Bogner Amp model and the BludoOjai. Lots of flavors too for bright, balanced, or dark (bass) from multiple mic shots for IR. Do not neglect the cabs, period; try lots to get the sound you want -- it will "click" and you'll hear it.

If you don't think the AXE II sounds like your own real amp of same thing, then truly learn how to shoot Cab IRs' of the speaker cab you love/use;

Yes, yes yes :) listen to this man - he gets it.

True, but the Internet will be a frustrating experience given your criteria. You can't take it all that seriously or you'll not enjoy it. ;)

I am serious with what I wrote but I don't take it [the internet] that serious ;). Been around long enough and I won't go away :mrgreen

Dude, I think someone has ventured way off the original subject matter. What's going on??
The original subject was "If I create lots using 11b am I going to have to make major or minor tweaks when the finished 11 is released?".
Is what is below relevant to a new guy setting up his Axe-FX?

Calm down. OP's question was answered numerously, could have been end of thread.

Discussing how people behave after a major FW update drops actually is relevant :)

Oh, and yes, I'm just biding time until 11 and AE 3 drop 8)

I'm noticing most of my presets are way louder with 11b. The other day i had an amp that had to be turned down to -20db to avoid clipping with everything else in the chain at 0db.

Good observation.... went back and dropped the volume on LOTS of my presets for FW 11b switchover, especially using the Input/Output meter in utility window to check preset gain accurately. I'm using the Matrix GT 800FX into the new NL12's and that power amp can blow those speakers if you aren't conscientious about how to set up your headroom by preset and then other outputs.

Now am finding very few presets (maybe a few cleans) should be above -10db (which gives you lots of headroom especially if you still use "live"pedals in front although I don't), and then have some hi-gain presets that go down to -20 db to prevent clipping (think JTM 45 cranked up or JVM OR-1). You have to dial each amp in and there is no "one" -db setting that covers the whole waterfront, but -12db is a good place to start and THEN turn your output/Poweramp knobs up to get the sound you want coming at you -- don't make the mistake of turning up the amp level control past -9db or so if you can help it....let your external POWER AMP and the front output knob of the AXE II (as master) do the work...

Back
Top Bottom