Question for the guys who use a valve power amp with their AX8..

Georgy

Inspired
I'm sure this happens to the best of us..

In the originals band that I play in, we're mainly moderate-to-hi gain (rock to hard rock and borderline metal). When I had my Axe-ii, I mainly gravitated to the BE and HBE amps more than anything. They have plenty of power/crunch/versatility and so forth. Even now with my AX8, I still use the BE and HBE amp sims.

Though, sometimes, I'll play 'my sound' through my my setup, and think to myself, 'eh, that sounds average today...' So this is the first part of the question.. why does this happen, or, why do we think it sounds 'average' when it's your main go-to sound?! Does this happen to some of you as well? This only really feels like it happens at rehearsals, not gigs.

I'm using my VHT 2/50/2 valve power amp with a Mesa 2x12 cab and overall I'm very happen with that sound. It's just weird how sometimes that sound doesn't sound good. On the other hand, there's a good thing within this; in that the AX8 offers so many good amp sounds and amp sims that you can easily go from a HBE to a Cameron or Bogner for a bit of a change, try that for a bit, and then go back to 'old faithful' if need be. I find I do this from time to time but somehow keep reverting back to the BE/HBE..

I go through the same thing from time to time. I believe it has to do with a lot of things, including how tired your ears are, acoustics of the room, even your mood. In my case, I am happy a majority of the time so it is all good.

I go through the same thing from time to time. I believe it has to do with a lot of things, including how tired your ears are, acoustics of the room, even your mood. In my case, I am happy a majority of the time so it is all good.

They're all valid points mate. I assumed it might be a mixture of all the elements that you mentioned. I guess the question then is, how does one overcome that or work with that? We all obviously want to avoid changing amp sims on a weekly basis.. I'm just curious to gauge what other players out there do when this happens..

If you've never experienced this with any other rig you've had before the ax8, you should have kept that rig :p

I've had a bunch of different heads I've loved over the years, but every one of them would disappoint me from time to time. Some days it just doesn't hit you the right way. It is definitely awesome that the ax8 allows you to just switch over to a different amp and find a tone that works for you that day, but the root of the problem is you, not the gear. Happens to all of us. Imho.

They're all valid points mate. I assumed it might be a mixture of all the elements that you mentioned. I guess the question then is, how does one overcome that or work with that? We all obviously want to avoid changing amp sims on a weekly basis.. I'm just curious to gauge what other players out there do when this happens..
I guess I just realize that there are going to be times where it just doesn't sound good to me, but as long as the majority of the time that I do love it, I am good. That said, I have changed the models I use with different firmware versions. When I first got my Mark II I was using the Friedman BE. I then went on to the 5153 Blue, Marshall 800 mod, Mesa IIC+, and am now back on the 5153 Blue.

You're human. Even the most satisfying experiences can become mundane from time to time, but at least the Fractal gear lets you change it up with minimum fuss. Even a three star Michelin chef is going to crave a drive through burger from time to time.

I imagine that to hit the sweet spot on your power amp you need to crank it up loud, which will fatigue your ears faster.

for me at least, is the fact that the axe gives you the sound of a processed guitar. Is the sound that i hear in my head, the one that made me like the guitar in the first place ( I have never hear how the amp of dimebag actualy sounded). So when I go to the amp in a rehearsals, I have the problem of no mic, no mix just the amp and sometimes with a volumen that is not the best for the sound. The axe gives you the mic/amp sound and thats it. Thats what happens in a gig with an amp, most of the time you dont hear the amp, you hear the return on stage boxes.

Valve power still needs to cranked a little to open up, I have a Mesa 2:50 and it very similar to a traditional tube amp head, needing a bit of volume to feel full.

Mostly it's our ears though, somedays your brain will process sound differently based on many factors, slightly changing how you percieve sounds.

I usually find what I really like about a patch, and try to emphasize those one or two things the patch excells at, such as thick and punchy lows for palm mutes, or grindy barking mids for open chords, etc..

Then I just chose a patch I am in the mood for, or try and build a new patch.

Everyone has a "bad ear day" every now and then. :)

On the other hand, your tone is a perfect statistical "average" of the tone you play every day. ;)

Back
Top Bottom