Question for RCF NX 12-SMA users

marshall2553

Power User
I just picked up a pair of these (from Pyle Audio at an awesome price) based on the plethora of good reviews here and elsewhere. I'm using them with an Axe Fx III and I'm coming from a QSC K10.2. So far the RCFs seem really bass heavy compared to the K10. I've been using the K10 in studio monitor mode and usually have it up off the floor on a wooden crate standing up vertically. With this setup, especially since firmware 11, I hardly ever feel the need to cut lows in my presets and the factory presets sound great. The RCFs have way more low end on the same presets when in floor mode and in free field mode they'll rattle stuff off the walls. I probably need to give my ears some time to adjust, but right now I'm not sure this was a step up from the K10.

So my question is : Are the RCFs actually pretty flat and I've just gotten accustomed to a lack of low end on the 10" QSC when it's in monitor mode? Or was my K10.2 actually a flatter speaker when in studio monitor mode? The latter would be kind of disappointing... I guess I could pole mount them and see what happens, I'm sure there's still some coupling even with them up off the floor.

So my question is : Are the RCFs actually pretty flat and I've just gotten accustomed to a lack of low end on the 10" QSC when it's in monitor mode?
Yes. If you’ve cut low frequencies from a speaker then play a speaker that doesn’t have those cut, then the non-cut speaker will have more low end.

the k series is definitely more boomy than the RCF, but you’ve cut those frequencies out.

flat response doesn’t mean “no low end.” If your K10 has bass cut, you might have created presets with a ton of low end without knowing because the speakers weren’t producing it due to the cut.

The RCF is very flat. I had to add low end in my mixer graphic EQ to get what I want out of it, and I like that. No uncontrollable lows, put what I want.

After using the RCF for a long time, I switched to 2 CP8 by QSC, and there was a ton of low end there that I wasn’t getting from the RCF.

It’s flat for sure.

Yes. If you’ve cut low frequencies from a speaker then play a speaker that doesn’t have those cut, then the non-cut speaker will have more low end.

the k series is definitely more boomy than the RCF, but you’ve cut those frequencies out.

flat response doesn’t mean “no low end.” If your K10 has bass cut, you might have created presets with a ton of low end without knowing because the speakers weren’t producing it due to the cut.
I haven't cut the low end on the K10. The only thing I've done on the QSC is put it in "Studio Monitor" mode, which is supposed to be flat(ish). And I'm hearing this when comparing factory presets on the K10 and RCF, so it isn't that I've dialed in bass-heavy presets. I'm going from a 10" speaker in a plastic box to a 12" in a wooden cab, so I'm sure that's part of it. But man some of the factory presets are boomy through this thing.

Chris, do you have an NX 12? Do you ever use free field mode or do you keep it in floor mode?

I have the RCF. If you are using on the floor (wedge), then put it in floor mode.
If you put it on a tripod, then you can put it in free field mode (but even on a tripod, I left it in floor mode often)

It's likely that your patch that sounds boomy on the RCF, is actually boomy (and your other monitors are now showing/producing that low end).

Getting that low end under control will help as well if/when you plug into a FOH PA.

I haven't cut the low end on the K10. The only thing I've done on the QSC is put it in "Studio Monitor" mode, which is supposed to be flat(ish). And I'm hearing this when comparing factory presets on the K10 and RCF, so it isn't that I've dialed in bass-heavy presets. I'm going from a 10" speaker in a plastic box to a 12" in a wooden cab, so I'm sure that's part of it. But man some of the factory presets are boomy through this thing.

Chris, do you have an NX 12? Do you ever use free field mode or do you keep it in floor mode?
i would assume "Studio Monitor" mode is reducing low end and increasing high end for clarity, like a studio monitor. so the speaker probably is cutting low end. i really think you're just used to that setting.

i personally don't use any of these modes on any speaker. i don't know exactly what they do. i just want a speaker. i'll do the EQ from my mixer so i know exactly what i'm getting.

i do have the NX12-SMA. i don't use the "floor" button. as i mentioned, i keep it set to normal and EQ what i need from my mixer. it's still very flat in this mode even on the floor.

i would assume "Studio Monitor" mode is reducing low end and increasing high end for clarity, like a studio monitor. so the speaker probably is cutting low end. i really think you're just used to that setting.

i personally don't use any of these modes on any speaker. i don't know exactly what they do. i just want a speaker. i'll do the EQ from my mixer so i know exactly what i'm getting.

i do have the NX12-SMA. i don't use the "floor" button. as i mentioned, i keep it set to normal and EQ what i need from my mixer. it's still very flat in this mode even on the floor.
Wow, so you keep it in free field mode on the floor? Are factory presets like Recto1 and Das Metal remotely useable for you without cutting lows somewhere? Those aren't presets or amps I generally use, but as I was scrolling through the factory presets those were a couple that stood out as being way too bassy on the RCF but weren't that bad with the K10.

Wow, so you keep it in free field mode on the floor? Are factory presets like Recto1 and Das Metal remotely useable for you without cutting lows somewhere? Those aren't presets or amps I generally use, but as I was scrolling through the factory presets those were a couple that stood out as being way too bassy on the RCF but weren't that bad with the K10.
i EQ the speaker with my mixer.

if i'm going direct from axe to speaker, i use the Global Graphic to adjust things.

again, if the K10 is cutting bass due to the setting you chose (which i'm pretty sure it is), then it's not an accurate representation of what's being fed into it.

i shape EQ when needed. i don't think any preset is "ready to go"/perfect. adjust what needs to be adjusted.

The RCF has a little too much low end (actually lower mids), but it's way flatter than the K10 I had before it.

Back
Top Bottom