Question for people with Headless Guitars

Sidivan

Fractal Fanatic
I'm kicking around getting a headless guitar with Strandberg or a steinberg bridge/body mount tuners. My question to anybody who owns or has used one extensively is this: Do you find it strange to tune with the same hand that you pick with? I have a feeling I'll be dropping a lot of picks when using an electronic tuner. I'm guessing it's kinda like tuning via harmonics and your fret hand has to turn the tuning pegs, which is kind of a pain in the ass.

Also, how difficult is it to go to Drop D with these tuners? I know the gear ratio is really high, so do you have to turn a million times to drop it?

It only felt odd for the first couple hours, since then it's normal for me to tune that way. BTW I don't tune with a pick, I just use the edge of my finger to strike the string near the fourteenth fret then adjust the tuner. Here's the axe I use;

120180b_zpse4085265.jpg

just put the pick in your mouth. this shouldn't be a deal-breaker. i use drop d occasionally and it's easy to tune down. i lock the trem from behind before doing it, so the guitar stays in tune.

Back
Top Bottom