Question for People Who Have Moved to FM9 (or FM3) From AX8

BCy2k

Inspired
Fractal has captured my undivided attention with the release of FM9. It's calling my name - LOL.

I've been quite pleased with the AX8 for the past few years and it's been solid, reliable, and great sounding of course. I'm on the FM9 wait list and intend to get one when I get my invite.

I'd imagine quite a few AX8 users have moved on to FM3 (or FM9). One of the things I've been wondering is, when you made the switch, did you try replicating your user made presets on the FM3 (or 9), or just start from scratch when building your "dream rig" presets on the newer unit?

Everything I've seen, heard, and read about the FM9 appeals to me a lot and seems to address the small handful of things about the AX8 I wish were better.

I guess I'm also wondering if there's as much of a learning curve moving into the FM9 realm from the world of the AX8? It doesn't seem as though it'll be very different in terms of creating presets, but I'm curious to know what some of your experiences have been moving from AX8 to FM3, or FM9? Any surprises, or anything of note? Other than it sounds amazing - which I'm sure it does. Thanks.

Didn't really change my approach from the AX8, per song presets, but did create them from scratch with the FM3/Axe III.

Not much new to learn as far as creating presets, workflow is very similar. Some new features and parameters have been added and some have been removed, relocated or renamed. What you'll need to learn or adjust to will depend upon how deeply you tweak the AX8.

The biggest change has been in the footswitches, they are incredibly powerful and versatile. The FC controller workflow is similar but at the same time very different from the AX8. Switches are still press and hold, if you wish, but are completely programmable; any switch can be assigned any function or modifier. Switches can be assigned to act globally or assigned per preset using the placeholder feature.

There are also layouts in the FC Controller system, which are in essence pages of switch configurations and accessible with any switch using Layout Links. I would suggest downloading and reading through the FC Controller guide.

By the way, the AX8 is a great second/backup setup to have!
I still have the AX8 and am glad I have it.
You would most likely want to create new presets with Cygnus being the platform on the FM9.

Back
Top Bottom