Question for my fellow ASM users

ak301

Power User
I have the Friedman ASM-12 which I'm perfectly happy with for my AX8

But I'm just fancying getting something slightly more 'grab and go' for stuff like rehearsals, and wondering if anyone else has done the same.

The Matrix FR's spring to mind as well as some of the Yamaha DX series, plus they're half the price especially on the second hand market

Please bear in mind I'm in the UK so wont have access to the Xitone range

Last edited:
Own a ASM12 and used it on the road for a year. You're right in thinking for something more grab and go. I purchased a FR12 a month ago and have been traveling with it now. A FR12 in a 1x12 Gator roadcase feels more convenient and portable than an ASM-12 in a padded bag. The FR12 has plenty of loudness, it just gets hot enough in the back to be able to bake cookies on it.

Own a ASM12 and used it on the road for a year. You're right in thinking for something more grab and go. I purchased a FR12 a month ago and have been traveling with it now. A FR12 in a 1x12 Gator roadcase feels more convenient and portable than an ASM-12 in a padded bag. The FR12 has plenty of loudness, it just gets hot enough in the back to be able to bake cookies on it.

So how would you compare the two on a volume, tone, feel and spread basis

The ASM being a wedge and aimed at the ceiling has a bigger "spread" in terms of where the sound seems to go. The FR12 seems to be a bunch of sound in one direction and outside of that, is dead space in my experience. Volume is loud enough..? Its hard to say seeing as I never cranked my ASM but it seems comparable. Id say the FR12 has a stronger but often a little more troublesome low end though. It has DSP to do EQ adjustments but they are kinda hard to figure out without the manual, I liked how the ASM had a easy high pass switch.

I've got the ASM, CLR and Neo and XiTone's. My suggestion first and foremost would be the XiTone but since you mentioned it's not an option I would say the Atomic CLR.

Last edited:
I've got the ASM, Atomic CLR and Neo and XiTone's. My suggestion first and foremost would be the XiTone but since you mentioned it's not an option I would say the Atomic CLR.

I'm not really looking to replace the ASM but I am thinking about something to grab quickly I can take to rehearsals and smaller gigs/jams. I'm also thinking about something cheaper and the CLR is the at the other end of the cost scale than I have in mind, but thanks for the thoughts anyway

I'm not really looking to replace the ASM but I am thinking about something to grab quickly I can take to rehearsals and smaller gigs/jams. I'm also thinking about something cheaper and the CLR is the at the other end of the cost scale than I have in mind, but thanks for the thoughts anyway
Understand. I keep my ASM at rehearsal. It's just too heavy and awkward to carry around. But keep your eyes on the classified section here. That's where I got my XiTone's and CLR's. Highly recommend both.

Can't go wrong with Xitone or CLR neo. I have both with an ASM and like Bishop I never take the asm anywhere

Yeah, in my opinion the only downside to the ASM-12 is the weight. Other than that it shines in every area and I love it! I don't gig anymore but if I was gigging, I'd have to use a cart of some kind. I'd love for them to have an area for casters underneath but don't know if that would affect the tone at all.

Back
Top Bottom