Question for ML Labs - Cab Pack 18 (based on AC-30)

Hi Mikko,
I was looking at some AC-30 IRs. Your Cab Pack 18 looks very good, as does the Justin York Collection on OwnHammer.

I had a couple of questions, if I may...
1. I didn't see a date on the pack. Are the captures on pack 18 done with the latest version of the IR capture on the Axe? (or perhaps your capture technique is in the studio and doesn't involve the Axe?)

2. It says "based on" a 2x12 Vox AC30. Does that mean it was not an AC30 or is that just disclaimer terminology.

Looking forward to your answers.

PS. To anyone with both the ML Cab Pack 18 and the Justin York Collection on Ownhammer, can you shed some light on which one suits your needs best and why?

Sounds I'm looking for:
Crystal clean AC30, Clean AC30 to put some Fuzz pedals on, breakup (for rhythm), full open for rhythm and leads. I use passive humbuckers on my two main guitars and will occasionally use a Strat with single coils.
I'm after classic rock tones of the '60s and '70s.

I really like the Ownhammer VX212 library. It's a 212 Vox extension cab that Kevin modified to match the older vox cab designs...great sounding IR's for all of those tones.

jlynnb1, thanks for the tip. The example clips sound great. I like the second one especially. Might go for that! Hope someone chimes in on the ML Labs capture.

Last edited:
It depends on your personal taste............I think both do a good job.

I´ve got the JY Collection and absolutely satisfied for recording and live:

With Les Paul - Amber PU

With Strat:

There´s an upcoming Vox-IR Pack from CabIR, even more clear und direct to my ears:

With Tele:

ML has talked about his technique in various other threads. His technique does basically what the Axe's Mic+DI technique (remove power amp color) but it is NOT the Axe's Mic+DI technique. OH doesn't try to remove power amp color (at least last time I really looked into them) The welcome the color and offer it in a few variants ie tube power amp, solid state power amp ect.

It is prob safe to say at the point none are better than the other just different flavors. The IR game has improved so much over the last few years it is crazy

ML has talked about his technique in various other threads. His technique does basically what the Axe's Mic+DI technique (remove power amp color) but it is NOT the Axe's Mic+DI technique. OH doesn't try to remove power amp color (at least last time I really looked into them) The welcome the color and offer it in a few variants ie tube power amp, solid state power amp ect.

It is prob safe to say at the point none are better than the other just different flavors. The IR game has improved so much over the last few years it is crazy
OH doesn't do the different power amp thing anymore, haven't for quite a while.

Since V3 the IR´s are without poweramp...........the High Gain Essential have got them..........also different interessting IR´s.

Thanks Hubi for the clips and everyone for the replies. They all seem like pro quality captures.
I'll grab one of these later this week when I have a chance to sit with it.

Hi Mikko,
I was looking at some AC-30 IRs. Your Cab Pack 18 looks very good, as does the Justin York Collection on OwnHammer.

I had a couple of questions, if I may...
1. I didn't see a date on the pack. Are the captures on pack 18 done with the latest version of the IR capture on the Axe? (or perhaps your capture technique is in the studio and doesn't involve the Axe?)

2. It says "based on" a 2x12 Vox AC30. Does that mean it was not an AC30 or is that just disclaimer terminology.

Looking forward to your answers.

PS. To anyone with both the ML Cab Pack 18 and the Justin York Collection on Ownhammer, can you shed some light on which one suits your needs best and why?

Sounds I'm looking for:
Crystal clean AC30, Clean AC30 to put some Fuzz pedals on, breakup (for rhythm), full open for rhythm and leads. I use passive humbuckers on my two main guitars and will occasionally use a Strat with single coils.
I'm after classic rock tones of the '60s and '70s.
Looks like I completely missed this thread. :)

All my IR's (starting from Cab Pack 7 already) remove the power amp color and also all color from cables, pres, etc. including saturation and the frequency spectrum.

We actually had a talk about this with Fractal Audio recently that people somehow think that the newest IR pack will somehow be better and therefore we will most likely stop numbering the Cab Packs since it's not the case. The same unmatched techniques have been used for Fractal Audio Cab Packs for well over a year now. If I was to create a Vox pack right now it would be the same exact method for IR shooting as I had with Cab Pack 18 which by the way sounds just like the real combo from '64. It's all I use for Incubus and Foo Fighters type songs. Have a listen:

The pack also comes with Preset-Cab Bundles that were A/B'd with the real combo from '64 so they sound just like the real thing:

I bought Cab Pack 18 over the weekend. This is actually the first time I buy a 3rd party IR pack. I gigged with it using a stereo cab L+R Sum using two IRs. It sounded great out of my FRFR speaker and it sounded great out of the PA.

I haven't yet recorded with it, but I'm sure it tracks well. And there are enough varieties of tones in the pack - you should be able to get any flavor of the AC30 you want.

Diggin' it!

PS, thanks for the response Mikko

I bought Cab Pack 18 over the weekend. This is actually the first time I buy a 3rd party IR pack. I gigged with it using a stereo cab L+R Sum using two IRs. It sounded great out of my FRFR speaker and it sounded great out of the PA.

I haven't yet recorded with it, but I'm sure it tracks well. And there are enough varieties of tones in the pack - you should be able to get any flavor of the AC30 you want.

Diggin' it!

PS, thanks for the response Mikko
Thank you! Getting feedback like this always puts a smile on my face. :)

This is what I try to go for with all my packs. Enough variety that people don't feel limited but also giving those pre-selected Ace options for quick results. Let me know how it records for you. :)

Would you please elaborate on this particular clip. What exactly is the AC30 Treble Boost...is it the IR, an amp. model or the AC30 with a drive block?

Thanks
Oh man that must be the third time I call the Top Boost a Treble Boost. :) It's the Class-A TB amp sim on the Axe-Fx (TB = Top Boost and not Treble Boost like it says in that clip) and Cab Pack 18 for the IR's. You can find those IR's in here: http://shop.fractalaudio.com/Cab_Pack_18_ML_Class_A_p/fas-801-0018.htm

Back
Top Bottom