Question for MC6 users. Expression pedals

hole

Inspired
I don't have the FM3 yet, but I am thinking about my setup already (I'm sure this is relatable for the majority of you :D)

I am contemplating: FM3 + MC6 + Mosky dual switch + 2 expression pedals.

Mosky: stand-in switch (tuner/tap + scenes/preset) (selection of scenes/preset via FM3)

MC6: toggle effects

Expression: 1: Wah (or volume)
Expression 2: to be determined (probably rotary/delay parameters)

This means that one of the expression pedals would have to be connected to the MC6 instead of the FM3 (as I am assuming that the stand-in switch needs to be connected to the FM3). Does this limit the functionality in any way? Or can i just have like CC #<insert number here> assigned to the EXP that is connected to the MC6, and do exactly the same as an expression pedal that is connected directly to the FM3?

Bonus question: Is is possible to send midi messages to the MC6 that would make it behave just like the FC6 in the OMG9 setup (so have it display different "pages" based on the midi message received).

Thanks for your insights (and I hope I am making sense)

Disclaimer: I have not yet read the MC6 manual, so yes, I could have done more 'homework'

I am contemplating: FM3 + MC6 + Mosky dual switch + 2 expression pedals.

That's my set up exactly. Works great.

This means that one of the expression pedals would have to be connected to the MC6 instead of the FM3 (as I am assuming that the stand-in switch needs to be connected to the FM3). Does this limit the functionality in any way? Or can i just have like CC #<insert number here> assigned to the EXP that is connected to the MC6, and do exactly the same as an expression pedal that is connected directly to the FM3?

Bonus question: Is is possible to send midi messages to the MC6 that would make it behave just like the FC6 in the OMG9 setup (so have it display different "pages" based on the midi message received).

You are correct in assuming the stand-in switch (the mosky) needs to be connected directly to the FM3.

I have both of my Expression pedals connected to the MC6 (to leave the other pedal port open on the FM3 for future expansion). The functionality of the expression pedals connected to the MC6 and running through the MIDI com's to the FM3 is not affected or limited at all. I have pedal 1 configured to EXTERNAL 1 and pedal 2 configured to EXTERNAL 2.
Connecting the expression pedals through the MC6 offers a serendipitous benefit: The MC6 will display the sweep percentage of the pedal stroke as you move the pedal. It was a 'side benefit' that I didn't know it did. You may or may not find that useful.

Mosky: stand-in switch (tuner/tap + scenes/preset) (selection of scenes/preset via FM3)

MC6: toggle effects

Expression: 1: Wah (or volume)
Expression 2: to be determined (probably rotary/delay parameters)

After using my MC6 - it became apparent that it is way more versatile than just a toggle effects controller. I ended up configuring my MC6 to navigate FM3 presets and scenes using some of the techniques shown in this video:

I didn't 'hard assign' presets like the video shows (I just configured preset increment and preset decrement actions).
I configured the 'bank 1 page' on the MC6 for preset up, preset down on the top corner buttons. Scene up and Scene down on the bottom corner buttons and, on the bottom center button the MC6 jumps to another view where I 'hard assigned' scenes 4,5,6,7 and 8 to buttons and the sixth button takes me back to the first page (with the preset and scene up/down buttons are assigned)

I have not yet explored the concept you mention in the bonus question - but, on the outset, I don't believe that would be possible.

Thanks. Informative.

From the video I gather that, while you (probably, as you say) can not change the 'layout' of the MC6 with MIDI commands, you are able to do so from within the unit itself. Interesting! That opens up many more possibilities than I had thought of.

....... That opens up many more possibilities than I had thought of .....

Yes, the MC6 is very versatile. It can be quite a powerhouse of control once your mind can grasp the possibilities.
I haven't even scratched the proverbial surface with what I'm doing with mine.

All the best in your MC6 configuration endeavors.

As I don't have any of this equipment yet, I am unable to test this stuff, so this is a 'thought experiment'

https://morningstarengineering.atla.../pages/181699012/MC6+v3.7#MIDI-Implementation

If I am understanding this correctly, the MC 6 can respond to incoming MIDI commands . You are able to switch banks.

According to the FM3 Footswitch manual, it is possible to have footswitch presses send out midi commands (regardless of preset/scene changes, so not talking about the midi block).

So, it should be possible to make a 'poor man's FC6' out of the MC6 (it wont read switch states etc etc), but it should be possible to have it display different pages (presets/scenes/effects/looper etc) based on footswitchpresses on the FM3.

At least, if I am understanding all of this correctly.

As I don't have any of this equipment yet, I am unable to test this stuff, so this is a 'thought experiment'

https://morningstarengineering.atla.../pages/181699012/MC6+v3.7#MIDI-Implementation

If I am understanding this correctly, the MC 6 can respond to incoming MIDI commands . You are able to switch banks.

According to the FM3 Footswitch manual, it is possible to have footswitch presses send out midi commands (regardless of preset/scene changes, so not talking about the midi block).

So, it should be possible to make a 'poor man's FC6' out of the MC6 (it wont read switch states etc etc), but it should be possible to have it display different pages (presets/scenes/effects/looper etc) based on footswitchpresses on the FM3.

At least, if I am understanding all of this correctly.

Woh! I'm impressed by your digging in to RTM before getting your gear. Yes, it does look like that might be possible to achieve what you're looking for in you bonus question in the OP.

From the MC6 'manual":
PC messages will change the banks on the MC6 MKII, where a PC#0 message will engage Bank 1, and PC#1 message will engage Bank 2, and so on.

Hope you get your gear soon.
I'd be interested to see how this works out for you.
I've been too busy to do much experimenting with this but it sure looks like it would be a useful strategy to implement into controlling the FM3.

Back
Top Bottom