Question for Logic experts

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
How do I temporarily mute one track when recording multiple tracks at the same time?

With mute I mean: stop recording that track. I don't mean muting the output.

I'm recording speech (mic) and well as guitar simultaneously on multiple tracks, and I want the speech track to stop recording at times.
Logic won't let me depress Record Enable during recording.

I need it to work the other way around and without preprogramming: start recording the multiple tracks, then temporarily stop recording one of them. More like a punch out.

I haven't ever done that. I might also consider a hardware mute switch for the mic cable. Or use one of your other Fractal Audio products to create something like that.

I was just about to post a similar workaround - using mute automation with latch mode whilst recording. It is odd that Logic doesn't allow tracks to be disarmed whilst recording, I had never tried that before with it.

Yes, it is, isn't it? Seems like logical functionality (no pun intended ... well, maybe a bit).
Yeah, Logic doesn't have the notion of an input bus channel like other DAWs. You have to create it yourself with an aux channel. There are pros and cons, but I think this goes back to the Emagic days when you were expected to build things like that yourself using the Environment editor. Anyway, I don't think this comes up often because decisions like that muting tend to be deferred until after recording.

I was just about to post a similar workaround - using mute automation with latch mode whilst recording. It is odd that Logic doesn't allow tracks to be disarmed whilst recording, I had never tried that before with it.
That's how I've solved it. It's a PIA for certain. But I think the explanation is that Logic invested in making everythign automatable versus making something automatable and somethings easy to do. It's a choice, I suppose.

Also, @yek, I personally just fix it after the recording by cutting out the sections. :D

Back
Top Bottom