Question for Leon Todd

Adinfinitum

Experienced
2112:

Huge fan of your YouTube channel, AXE posts, and great presets that you generous donate to us forum mates. My wife and I are big fans of the Australian show Wentworth - about a woman's prison (and remake from a 70's soap opera according to Australian trademark associate - who made it perfectly clear he does not watch the show). Has a Breaking Bad type vibe and is significantly better than Orange is the New Black..

The inmates and guards use the word GEAR to refer to drugs, so the question is what do Aussie use instead of Gear Acquisition Syndrome?

Just some humour, hopefully, to lighten the load.

Todd B - Adinfinitum

It took me a while to pickup on the Australian slang:

Gear = drugs. I was like cool, they allow inmates to brings in guitars and amps. I'd be totally fine in minimum security women's prison.
Cuppa = cup of tea
Slot - solitary confinement. Orange calls that SHU - solitary housing unit
Lag - tell on another inmate
Governor = Warden
Top Dog - pretty obvious
Shiv - razor blade knife

They also all wear teal sweats. I guess they are Miami Dolphin fans.

Maybe others can list their local slang for music gear, gigs, etc?

My wife and I are big fans of the Australian show Wentworth
My wife and I have watched all of those... And then she started watching McCloud's Daughters, which is kind of soap-ish.

A common term I picked up from that is "ute"... Slang for "utility" which in this case a compact car/truck hybrid like the old Subaru Brat.

Shiv - razor blade knife
That's what they're called in the US as well. Either shiv or shank... Basically a knife created from available resources.

Australian slang is a complex and mysterious thing for the uninitiated, and 70s Aussie slang is even weirder than it is now. Oh and for reference we use the c-bomb as a term of endearment down here.
Sounds a bit like New Jersey, in a way....

Much Aussie slang is a throwback to older English slang and cockney rhyming slang. Dates back to when Leon's ancestors were leaving England in chains 😉.
For those that don't know Australia was a British penal colony until we let them loose and they got really good at cricket.

Sarcasm isn't extinct, it migrated to the only place it's allowed to live, with the island of the other misfits. Do they have political correctness in Australia?

Australian slang is a complex and mysterious thing for the uninitiated, and 70s Aussie slang is even weirder than it is now. Oh and for reference we use the c-bomb as a term of endearment down here.

'Cunny' used to be ubiquitous in the English (and literary types) realm.

I hope the Mods won't gig me for that.

Oh...wait.

hahaha yes I can vouch for that the phrase "...he's a mad c#$!..." or "...he's a sick c$@!..." can be used in a few situations hahaha It's almost frightening how much we hear and/or use the c and f.

I use the C word alot in my house, But only when playing call of duty! :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom