Question for Fractal about plugins

I can't believe no one has shouted WHAT ABOUT PIRACY yet!

'Axe-PC' was a Fractal thing many years ago that never saw the light of day. Anyone else remember that? I got the impression it was scuttled due to the piracy danger.

I can't believe no one has shouted WHAT ABOUT PIRACY yet!
'Axe-PC' was a Fractal thing many years ago that never saw the light of day. Anyone else remember that? I got the impression it was scuttled due to the piracy danger.
My understanding is that some DRM technology has dramatically improved. Specifically, note that Cab-Lab is using the iLok system. Personally, I'd be a billion times more concerned about reverse engineering of an Axe-PC product, if I were Cliff.

Oh and even though it doesn't even exist, yet: Mac OS X version too, please, thx. ;)

My understanding is that some DRM technology has dramatically improved. Specifically, note that Cab-Lab is using the iLok system. Personally, I'd be a billion times more concerned about reverse engineering of an Axe-PC product, if I were Cliff.

Oh and even though it doesn't even exist, yet: Mac OS X version too, please, thx. ;)

Yea, I wouldnt worry much about Piracy anymore either. Most consumers understand now more than ever the value of buying a product because of updates, and add ons that hold value. Looking forward to Fractal updating this thread soon

I logged onto the website to purchase my first AXE FX unit, and I was completely shocked to learn that there is no plugin version of the Axe Edit software to be run within the DAW environment. It seems like a no brainer, especially since companies like UAD have been doing this for years. Definite deal breaker, instantly. There's no way I'm committing to one sound and recording the audio without the option to change the models after the take has been laid down.

If someone from Fractal could inbox me and tell me that this is on the way soon, I'll commit to the purchase. Otherwise, Axe Fx is a lost cause for me.

There's no way I'm committing to one sound and recording the audio without the option to change the models after the take has been laid down.
You don't have to commit to one sound. Search the forum for "reamping."

Short version: you can record your dry track, then feed that into the Axe-Fx and tweak to your heart's content. Then you record your new sound as a separate track. A plug-in version of Axe-Edit wouldn't help you do that, anyway.

I'm intrigued by the possibilities, knowing what SHARCs can do. The chips are there waiting for something to do...

Record killer guitar tracks using the AxeFX as 'originally designed' and then port through it again (via USB?) for post processing. Cannot go wrong here. :D

You don't have to commit to one sound. Search the forum for "reamping."

Short version: you can record your dry track, then feed that into the Axe-Fx and tweak to your heart's content. Then you record your new sound as a separate track. A plug-in version of Axe-Edit wouldn't help you do that, anyway.

I've always done this. I have a very long in the tooth radial aby box, so I always have a dry guitar recording no matter what I'm doing. I know you can do this through the AxeFx with a single input, but the aby box predates my axefx so I haven't had a need to change. I can reamp via axefx later, or the other guitar vsts I have in my DAWs. This is one of the reasons I really hope we at least get a vst/au of AxeEdit just for the sake of streamlining things.

Has this project been abandoned, or put on the 'back burner'?
For something as seemingly important as this, there shure is a lack of activity, and comments from beta testers and thread author.
There has been no commit from 'those in the know' for over 30 days, I certainly hope this project is still alive...
Could you at least give us info on what the "plug-in" is designed to plugs into. If its a VST style plug-in, or a Fractal hardware plugin.etc.

I think all efforts are on the upcoming amp show and the AX8. So it might be a few weeks before anything happens.

Thinking about it, I find an Axe Edit Version as a plugin very unlikely. Would not make that much sense. I mean, you only have one patch per time on the Axe - what would inserting it look like? You can only use one instance, and you put that just anywhere and control the Axe from it? You insert it on several tracks, and the Axe changes to the Axe Edit settings on the track that you select in your DAW? That last solution might give you a reasonable work flow, but I wonder how feasible it is to code such a thing. All instances would have to interact plus "listen" to the DAW's track selection etc.
I find it much more likely that we will see FX plugins from Fractal. I am not sure if they will port their amp and cab sims over to plugin formats (I hope very much! - but am not sure about them making that business decision or how much CPU power would be sufficient on a standard PC/Mac CPU), but given the quality of the reverb, delay, chorus etc. FX, I find it highly probable that we will see such plugins or bundles in VST/AU/whatever format. Modulation, reverb, maybe we see emulations of some studio classics (EQ,compressors etc.).

Jeeze, I would like at least one Amp Head as a plug in from Axe FX, and a few effects. Nothing crazy. Maybe an ENGL or Diezel amp match, and some simple effects to work with. Lots of guys out there would be happy with just something simple from Fractal that would get their feet wet with the Axe FX tone. Right now I have my laptop running though an SKB Flyer 4U laptop case, and a rack setup that includes an rack interface into a power amp so I can play through real cabs. Using Guitar rig 5, but would obviously much rather have an Axe FX plug in with a couple of good choices instead.

I'm not sure how I missed this. I'm really just hoping for an AU/VST of AxeEdit. That would streamline my workflow quite a bit.

+1 for an Axe-Edit DAW plugin. And if possible, stream 3 outputs (wet; dry; out2) and 2 inputs (in1; in2) through the usb. IIRC USB2.0 allows for much more audio data throughput.

I would just like a little plugin that's stores the current Axe Fx setting for a track, like Eleven Rack does. AAX and OS X please ;)

I have hardly ever HATED waiting more than this time... :mrgreen

Guys, it's been TWO MONTHS since the last official word!!!!! (Announcing a design reiteration...)

Back
Top Bottom