Question for Fractal about plugins

I have no idea what it would take to port the code from the Sharc DSP's to an Intel based processor but it would be cool to see the AXE amps in plugin form.
Pay per amp kind of thing.

Is there any word as to what they are testing? My WISH is for something like what Amplitube is doing but like this...
Of course for those of us that already own Fractal Product would get a discount... say something like a$200 price point and you get 5 amps, 1 modulation type, 1 delay type, 1 reverb type, 5 drives, 1 compressor type 10 or so cabs, 1 wah and 3 eq's then you get to pick 5 more amp sims for free. Everything after that is handled on an ala'carte basis. I ever much like the idea of that you to keep cost managable.

I know if I pieced together the blocks in my AF2 I could be VERY happy with 10-15 amps, 20 or so cab IR options, 3-5 drives, maybe 2 wahs, a couple of chours and flange types, a phase or 2 a rotary a compressor pedal model, couple of delays and reverbs and a flexible pitch block to do detuning, octave and whammy fx. Most of us are probably in that boat but my 15 amps would be VERY different from the next guy/gal. And anything i'd need beyond that I could just go through my AF2 hardware.

Last edited:
After a first round of testing, there is going to be another design iteration. Stand by for updates...

I would absolutely go haywire if this was a plug in version of the Axe FX. There are lots of effective anti piracy methods around, and many companies find ways to get around the piracy thing by linking email verification. Propellerhead Reason for instance has a pretty effective system of user name verification. You can tell because you cant find any versions of the new Reason that is pirated.

Please god almighty let this be a plug in version of Axe FX, I would buy it in a heartbeat

After a first round of testing, there is going to be another design iteration. Stand by for updates...

Not even a tiny hint? Plugin version of AxeEdit? Plugin with a stripped down version of the entire modeling chain (amps, cabs, fx, etc.)? Something completely different? Talent plugin maybe?

I like the idea of a custom shop where you could purchase each piece individually Amp, Cabinet, and effects individually in plug in format to run in your DAW of choice. It doesnt impede on the AXE FX product itself because its not like you can really perform with it like you can with an AXE FX, but the slimmed down version gives users on a budget a taste of what AXE FX has to offer. I mean, IK Multimedia seems to be doing quite well with their format, I see no reason Fractal cant take a chunk of the pie doing the same thing. It's good business for all, and there is a profit margin to be made. You have an available market that spends $50-$100 at a time with IK Multimedia with their custom shop when they release a new models, so it makes sense to capitalize on the available revenue that consumers "want" to spend. I have no doubt in my mind that a consumer would prefer the Axe FX plug in over Amplitube 3 or Bias if in fact this is what this thread is about.

I like the idea of a custom shop where you could purchase each piece individually Amp, Cabinet, and effects individually in plug in format to run in your DAW of choice. It doesnt impede on the AXE FX product itself because its not like you can really perform with it like you can with an AXE FX, but the slimmed down version gives users on a budget a taste of what AXE FX has to offer. I mean, IK Multimedia seems to be doing quite well with their format, I see no reason Fractal cant take a chunk of the pie doing the same thing. It's good business for all, and there is a profit margin to be made. You have an available market that spends $50-$100 at a time with IK Multimedia with their custom shop when they release a new models, so it makes sense to capitalize on the available revenue that consumers "want" to spend. I have no doubt in my mind that a consumer would prefer the Axe FX plug in over Amplitube 3 or Bias if in fact this is what this thread is about.

I like what you've said here... I have been asking for much of the same. I think though there should be like say a 40-50% discount if you already own an AF2 or XL or XL +.

I like what you've said here... I have been asking for much of the same. I think though there should be like say a 40-50% discount if you already own an AF2 or XL or XL +.

Yes absolutely. Lots of companies offer half off discounts to existing users. Native Instruments, FXpansion, so on and so forth. A plug in can open so many doors for existing users as well because it can act as an editor for existing Axe FX users, and offer non Axe FX users a bank of modules that they can purchase separately, but still get the same editing functionality.

Just imagine mobile fractal processing like positive grid bias or jamup pro.

I'd be in heaven! especially if it makes it to android! Would happily pay for dedicated hardware like the IK multimedia UA setup.

There are several possibilities, But what makes most sense to me would be a VST plug-in version of AXE-Edit.
Axe-Edit being the front end GUI that could load into your DAW of choice.
This basic Axe-Edit Plug-In would come with a few blocks and presets, to get you started.
Then from there you could purchase Blocks and Presets, adding to your collection. As many as your needs and finances would allow :)
This would have to be available to ONLY Fractal FX owners, as to protect sales of the FX itself.

Last edited:

If they are following the a la carte model of AT3 the base plugin would be FREE. IMHO, this model is much more expensive for the customer than all in one bundles and is generally a rip off for those who like a large number of models.

If they are following the a la carte model of AT3 the base plugin would be FREE. IMHO, this model is much more expensive for the customer than all in one bundles and is generally a rip off for those who like a large number of models.

Yes, the base plug in should be free, and they should charge for additional modules. Honestly, who knows what they are planning. The quality demands a price point that would justify moving in the direction that IK Multimedia seems to do quite well in. I read a lot, and I mean a lot of forums, and their new Mesa models are selling exceptionally well. Not only that, but they sound great. Im just looking at the potential for revenue that is not being capitalized on by Fractal.

Me personally, I would be happy with a few models from Fractal, a few effects and Im good. I dont need a plethora of choices. Other users who want choices can get an Axe FX 2.

So, should I be spending my hard earned cash on BIAS FX, or waiting???

Yeah, this. I have an old Axe Fx 2 Mk 2, but I'm looking for less luggage for when I'm traveling and not gigging.
If Fractal is making a software amp I'd rather know about it now and save my pennies for it rather than buy something else that I'll regret sooner than later.

Back
Top Bottom