Question for Cliff....

ChrisYoung

Inspired
I always loved the sound of the old TC 2290. I see TC is coming out with a version of this unit in desktop form that can be integrated into your DAW as a plugin.
How well do you feel the AFX's similar time based effects measure up to this modern version of the 2290?
Don't get me wrong, the AFX effects are stunning and I even own the Fractal reverb plug as well, but GAS is poking my brain on this cool box. LoL
Can you put my mind at rest and put out that GAS fire in regards to this new unit?

Thanks,
-Chris

Last edited:
TBH I'm not hearing anything in that demo that the Axe can't accomplish.

The AFX is stunning, no question. I'm a bit behind in some of the really cool technical stuff the Axe can do now a days. Can the AFX II+ plug into my Mac via its USB and do preset recalls in Pro Tools?
Major "retro" cool factor with that new little TC box though huh?

One of the key decision drivers for me to purchase the AXE FX XL+ was the quality of the time based effects (from reviews, posts, etc. - didn't get to hear it live until it landed in the studio ;))

It would be excellent if we can keep pace with the Eventides, Lexicons, and TC's of the world in our effects!

The AFX is stunning, no question. I'm a bit behind in some of the really cool technical stuff the Axe can do now a days. Can the AFX II+ plug into my Mac via its USB and do preset recalls in Pro Tools?

I've never done it so I can't say 100% but I'm 99.99% sure Pro Tools can control the Axe's preset selection via midi.

You can have ProTools send it a MIDI PC over USB to call up a preset. Is that preset recall to you? Is to me, I suppose.

The old, clicky buttons are nice.

Didn't the 2290 have a completely insane samplerate? Like 1MHz or something.

Having said that, I've owned a TC2290 and toured with one. It's just a digital delay at the end of the day, and not that transparent either, there was noticeable signal degradation through the DACs. The axe's digital delays are on par for sure.

I haven’t tried the product so I can’t comment. It’s a plug-in with a dedicated controller. Strange concept.

Didn't the 2290 have a completely insane samplerate? Like 1MHz or something.

Having said that, I've owned a TC2290 and toured with one. It's just a digital delay at the end of the day, and not that transparent either, there was noticeable signal degradation through the DACs. The axe's digital delays are on par for sure.
The original 2290 was a “bit slice” processor. The sample rate was necessarily high because it was a one-bit converter.

I've had both...TC and every AXE that came out...the III is really all you need if you are after great time-based delays and verbs...while the ax8 and II where great, its hard to imagine TC can or will do anything that will trump the III. Not to mention all the options...I've never had someone say ohhh..your AXE delay isn't as good as x,y,z...

I’m 99% sure it’s just a stylistic controller for the software

It’s like my NI Maschine drum machine. The hardware pads and buttons etc can’t do anything on their own, needs to be connected to the pc running the software.

It’s not a bad concept overall as dedicated control layouts generally beat a generic midi knob box etc, but you are tied to the software

As far as the TC, I don’t really see needing hands on control though. I’ve used tons of vst delays and always have been fine with a mouse. It’s not like anyone is really tweaking the delay in real-time in the same manner you would a synth or filter right?

I think one will be able to pick one of these up at a blowout price by this fall, as I just can’t see that many people buying it. Looks cool, but there are dozens if not hundreds of delay plugins on the market.

If this was stand alone hardware I could see it having an audience as it’s kind of unique and has retro appeal but it’s not really standalone.

I haven’t tried the product so I can’t comment. It’s a plug-in with a dedicated controller. Strange concept.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Console1mk2--softube-console-one-mkii-controller

I've got this Softube Console which is a combination of plugin and hardware controller. It's pretty awesome. You can control UAD plugins with it as well. Sure, there are general purpose controllers and plugins out there - but then you spend time mapping and messing with stuff like that instead of just using the stuff.

As for this TC thing, it seems like a nifty idea for those with those that have a nostalgic attachment to the 2290 and 1970's LED watch displays :) I don't have any experience with a real 2290 but I know TC has been putting something that is supposed to be like a 2290 in every delay product they've ever released. Lots of amazing sounds were created with a 2290, if they emulated it well then it's a bargain for $350 because the real deal will cost you at least 3x that.

I paid like $400 for a Free The Tone Flight Time delay which shares the same aesthetic but in pedal form (better stand alone form factor honestly)

While it looked awesome on the board, and did sound good (plus Gilmour uses two of them) it was honestly form over function as it was kind of a pita to edit since there were lots of button presses etc and really didn’t sound different than a TC Hall of Fame etc for 1/5th the price

Not too tough to do digital delay in 2018, we have the tech lol

I’m 99% sure it’s just a stylistic controller for the software

It’s like my NI Maschine drum machine. The hardware pads and buttons etc can’t do anything on their own, needs to be connected to the pc running the software.

It’s not a bad concept overall as dedicated control layouts generally beat a generic midi knob box etc, but you are tied to the software

As far as the TC, I don’t really see needing hands on control though. I’ve used tons of vst delays and always have been fine with a mouse. It’s not like anyone is really tweaking the delay in real-time in the same manner you would a synth or filter right?

I think one will be able to pick one of these up at a blowout price by this fall, as I just can’t see that many people buying it. Looks cool, but there are dozens if not hundreds of delay plugins on the market.

If this was stand alone hardware I could see it having an audience as it’s kind of unique and has retro appeal but it’s not really standalone.
I think Cliff is right. The desktop unit probably acts more like a method of software protection than anything else. Most developers have steered (or started steering) away from the iLok. This may be a nicely disguised, TC version of an iLok. LoL

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Console1mk2--softube-console-one-mkii-controller

I've got this Softube Console which is a combination of plugin and hardware controller. It's pretty awesome. You can control UAD plugins with it as well. Sure, there are general purpose controllers and plugins out there - but then you spend time mapping and messing with stuff like that instead of just using the stuff.
That's a good point.
As a side note, I've always found personally, too many choices (or having to be the "tech" too often), ended up being more stifling to my creativity than helping it. I ended up getting rid of NI Komplete 10 ultimate, for that very reason. Massive learning curve and way too many choices. I ended up pulling out 2 of my old synth modules (Triton Rack and Motif ES) to replace Komplete. Again. Still waaaaayy too many choices there, so I'm not sure how much that helped me. LoL!!
But I am more familiar with that gear than I ever became with Komplete. I started using that with Komplete 4. Kept buying the upgrades and never ended up getting proficient with it. :-(
I'm older now, but I swear, I played more guitar when all's I had was one guitar, instead of a "heard". LoL
Back then you just made due and got on with it. That was the only choice available. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom