Question for Cliff and those who have updated to V19

aPeRSon

I've not taken the plunge to V19 yet, as I have a question about this section of the release notes:

Improved many of the Drive models by applying “G3” techniques. Note that this may cause significant changes to the behavior of some models. Of particular note is that the taper of the Drive and Level controls has changed in many of the models and may differ substantially from previous firmware. Models that have been fully converted to G3 models are indicated in the name.

There are quite a few of my go-to presets that use the drive blocks - will the taper changes require me to tweak all the presets that have a drive block, in order to re-level / rebalance them?

I'm still on V18 (and loving the tones I'm getting) and that particular update felt like a huge step forwards with the G3-ing of the amps, so I don't want to stay on this version and miss out on the drive blocks receiving the same treatment.

Cliff - if the tapers have changed so much, are there any plans to recalibrate them with how they used to behave pre-G3, or re-work the factory presets?

For those that have made the jump - how much (if any) tweaking was required?

I know I can always roll back, but just looking to hear others' experiences before I go for it...

The tapers won't be recalibrated. They've been made more accurate, or truer, to the originals post G3-ing.

You most likely will have to retweak as the drive pedals will be more overdriven than before.

Well worth the slight reworking though as there are many great updates in FW19

As dbun stated, you most likely need to retweek the drive pedals. IMHO the drive block is vastly improved, so I strongly recommend v19.

Don't fear it, use it , You'll be glad you did !!! adjustments are easy !!

I'll toss in on the "do it" side. Even with the "changes", all of the presets I've used so far actually sound better without adjustment. Obviously, each user's ears are different.

If you depend on the Drive block, then IMHO V19 is mandatory. It may indeed require reworking settings on that block; but the end result is better IMHO. Smoother, more overtones.

Yeah I have to admit I never really felt that the tube screamer models did a good job of replicating the effect of a real one on a real amp (for very high gain metal) but now they work amazingly well.

If you use the drives a lot I would say its worth the effort of re tweaking.

I come from the 80's head-banger crowd so a drive block is mandatory on almost all of my presets. :) I use either a Tubescreamer, Suhr Riot, or Rat as a boost. I didn't have to adjust anything with the update except for my pants where the tremendous bulge was forming from the awesome tones. :) Seriously though, definitely worth the update. This latest update is just so clear and nice definition in the notes.

One side note for everyone. I think people forget some of the other adjustments if they are not right in front of you are buried in the settings. Don't forget about the amp adjustments like B+Constant, Definition, and Pick Attack. Even minor adjustments can turn your standard metal Marshall tone into something that sounds like it has been modded. You need to go beyond the Treble, Presence, etc. parameters if you want that roar.

Fractal is the sh*t. I never get burned out jamming with this unit.

I made the jump last night from 18 to 19 and was very happily surprised at the change in the drive block, especially the TS808. Didn't need to do any adjustments beyond the level control. Sounds really freaking good!

Okay - I'm convinced (not that it took much to convince me, after hearing the difference between V17 and V18!) - hope to get some spare time this week - can't wait!

I didn't have to adjust anything with the update except for my pants where the tremendous bulge was forming from the awesome tones. :)[/QUOTE said:
The same thing happened to me. Then I tried the new CabPack 13 - I immediately opened the window just in case to free up space.

Back
Top Bottom