Question for Cliff about headphones

Megadupe

Axe-FX use coming from Kemper. Love the Axe. My question is - are there any plans for a "space" feature with the headphone out? Kemper has this feature that makes playing via headphones a little more roomy/realistic. Just thought I would ask as I am mainly confined to headphones for recording due to being in an apartment.
Thanks for any info. :)

Axe-FX use coming from Kemper. Love the Axe. My question is - are there any plans for a "space" feature with the headphone out? Kemper has this feature that makes playing via headphones a little more roomy/realistic. Just thought I would ask as I am mainly confined to headphones for recording due to being in an apartment.
Thanks for any info. :)
Go to Cab block and adjust room size & %.

thanks for the help. But that isn't a global setting is it? I would like to see a global setting for headphones.
There is no global setting that will apply delay or reverb ("space") or any other effect to all your presets at once.

I just use the pan feature on the cabs...it takes me 5 seconds to adjust once per cab block....works really well too!

... it would be nice to set the enhancer block as a locked blocked on the output...so that any preset has that at the end of it's path. I don't see how that is possible at this point..??
It's not possible to force any block to exist in all of your presets.

Put another way, the only way a block can exist in a preset is if you put it into that preset. I kinda like it that way. :)

I use a blend of the Room parameter in the cab block and a reverb block set to ambience when playing through headphones. My go to settings are as follows:

Cab Block > Room parameter
Level - 80%
Size - 1.11
Mic Spacing - 20%

Reverb Block > Ambience
Stock settings
Mix - Adjust to taste
I usually get the Mix set to the point where the effect is barely audible. It gives me something that I can feel more than I hear.

I find the settings I use in the Room parameter give me some close proximity spatial effect (as if I am standing close to a real speaker), and the Reverb just fills things out round the edges a bit (as if it is bringing some subtle room reflections in).

You could also build a preset template with any of the blocks you want and import that for new preset builds. All you have to do then is replace the amp/cab blocks with the ones you want for that preset and save. tweak later if you want. Works for me in building new presets. So many ways to do so many great things with FAS.

Last edited:
The Room parameter in the Cab block is great for this, for me, when using a mono cab. For some reason, the Room "space" is mono when using a stereo cab. Perhaps I don't know what I'm doing.

A wish list item for me would be a "stereo" Room space when using stereo cabs, or instruction on what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for all the replies. I love all of these suggestions - but they are all on a preset by preset basis. I was asking if we could get a setting in the global params to have a "space" effect with headphones. The room setting is great - but every preset I audition I have to adjust that...to have a global setting on the Axe-Fx where you can add that would be awesome.

I doubt this is something that would ever get added. Any presets you're auditioning are likely going to need more than just a little room or reverb adjusted. That's why everyone always suggests building presets from scratch. I have any presets I use with headphones specifically adjusted for that application, vs. playing through my CLRs at low volume. I adjust these same presets differently for band/higher volume scenarios as well. You can use global blocks to make this easier or quicker, but I don't go that route.

I gotta ask though. Why the switch?
I've been considering buying a Kemper just for the sake of it, and I'm looking for opinions.

All I see in the Kemper forums, is that even though both units are good, the Kemper is still far ahead in terms of amp modelling. The cleans super this, high gain that, and so on...
But what sort of bothers me, is that all of that Kemper is realer stuff seems to come from it's simplicity.
This leads me to believe that this a psychologycal phenomenon, which is reasonable considering the Kemper profiles an amp sounding it's best, whereas the AXE models the amp with all it's flaws and imperfections from scratch.

I'm intrested in the opinion of someone who's made the switch.

Back
Top Bottom