Question for Axe FX II Mesa Boogie Mark series amps

Dimebucker

Experienced
I was reading Axe FX II Wiki page today a lot ,and my eyes did see a lot of notes where Cliff did mention Mesa Boogie Mark V. I`m interested to know did Cliff use original Mesa Boogie Mark IV and IIC+ when he create those models to Axe FX II ,or did he use original Mesa Boogie Mark V amp for both of those. Because Mesa Boogie Mark V have both of those modes too ,would be interested to know what was source amps for those Axe FX II models?

I'm fairly sure it would have been the original amps, as he has modeled the separate drive controls found on the IIC+ and IV, and various combinations of pull bright/pull fat/etc which the Mark V doesn't have.

This actually reminds me of a question, which version of the Mark IV sims would be closest to the Mark IV Mode on the V?

IIRC the IIC+ were based on a IIC+ but people who've only heard the MK V's IIC+ mode complained that it 'wasn't accurate' so the power amp modeling was changed to be more like the Mark V's Simul-Class power section.

IIRC the IIC+ were based on a IIC+ but people who've only heard the MK V's IIC+ mode complained that it 'wasn't accurate' so the power amp modeling was changed to be more like the Mark V's Simul-Class power section.

You could get the original MkIIc+ with Simul-Class.

Yeah I was notice too those pull bright fat etc... ,I think too it could be then original IIC+ and IV for source. And I was read too that Simul-class thing ,it was chance in some point. You can set there without Simul-Class engage ,for that Triodi 1 Plate Freq set 1350hz if I remember correct.

Btw would be very nice to have more info and details for those source amps in future ,what tubes those did have how old amp was what model that amp was and so on.

Btw would be very nice to have more info and details for those source amps in future ,what tubes those did have how old amp was what model that amp was and so on.

While the info would be interesting it could also lead to a lot of whining. I can just picture the "This model is useless because on RTL, James used the rare pink stripe model with 5881 tubes. We really need that one modeled."

I think you have to learn to just be okay with "This represents a typical Marshall JCM-800."

Yes I can see too that whining ,that could be come a problem in some cases. But still I think that info can give more good things than bad things ,because users can then know what exactly model they are playing.

While the info would be interesting it could also lead to a lot of whining. I can just picture the "This model is useless because on RTL, James used the rare pink stripe model with 5881 tubes. We really need that one modeled."

I think you have to learn to just be okay with "This represents a typical Marshall JCM-800."

Isn't that why we have the options to select the power tubes, tone stacks, etc?

If it's any help, back in April I bought a MKIV (not sure of the year, I have to check the serial # w Mesa), a B version. It has Svetlana Winged C 6L6s and I have it in 4cm. I A/B'ed the preamps CH3 Lead both into the power amp section with the same settings.

Absolutely identical. Every setting.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Nice to hear ,that kind of stuff also. Yeah A and B versions for Mesa Boogie Mark IV ,sounds very different if you compare those two amps. And Winged C tubes are amazing tubes for all old Boogie Amps ,those are kind of hard to find these days also.

If it's any help, back in April I bought a MKIV (not sure of the year, I have to check the serial # w Mesa), a B version. It has Svetlana Winged C 6L6s and I have it in 4cm. I A/B'ed the preamps CH3 Lead both into the power amp section with the same settings.

Absolutely identical. Every setting.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Mines an old A circa 1991. Was a combo but I converted it to a head. It was like 80+ lbs with the EVM speaker in it. My back said noooooop! To me the A's sound a bit looser with more midrange. The B's sound a bit more "modern". Rhythm 2 channel is very different too. It has a lot more gain in the B's. Sounds more tweed like in the A's. I always prefered the harmonics setting to the mid boost on the lead channel. I've never owned a IIc+ so I can't say for sure myself, but I've always heard that the IV A's are supposed to sound more like the IIc+ than the B's.

Last edited:
Yeah in that your post was all things what i have hear too ,when it comes to Mesa Boogie Mark IV model A and B. A is more close to old Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ ,and B is little bit more modern voicing than A. Both are amazing amp ,but very different tones those two have.

Mines an old A circa 1991. Was a combo but I converted it to a head. It was like 80+ lbs with the EVM speaker in it. My back said noooooop! To me the A's sound a bit looser with more midrange. The B's sound a bit more "modern". Rhythm 2 channel is very different too. It has a lot more gain in the B's. Sounds more tweed like in the A's. I always prefered the harmonics setting to the mid boost on the lead channel. I've never owned a IIc+ so I can't say for sure myself, but I've always heard that the IV A's are supposed to sound more like the IIc+ than the B's.

Back
Top Bottom